Logo

1971 Evinrude fastwin seal question

Nucad

Regular Contributor
Putting my lower gearcase back together and I noticed that there is one seal I have not purchased. From my parts diagram it appears that the seal is built into a larger part and perhaps must be changed with the gearcase head assembly Part # 383757.
As seen here:
https://www.ebay.com/p/OMC-Johnson-EVINRUDE-Gearcase-Head-PN-383757/1342110336

Is this quite expensive part usually replaced when doing a reseal? Or does it come apart by unscrewing the brass bushing? I see no mention of this in my parts manual.
On visual inspection the rubber inside looks OK, but it is awfully old. Don't want to miss anything at this point and hopefully not have to take it apart in my remaining lifetime.

Tia.

That year motor used a gearcase head assy with a pressed-in stainless steel weed/fishline guard over the seal, and the seal was not sold separately. But of of course we all know that was nonsense. Sure you can replace the seal by knocking off the stainless guard and putting it back on when done. Having said that, many of the guards fell off and won't stay on anyway.

Summing up, the seal is part number 313284 and is sold separately and available. Sierra aftermarket number is 18-2005

Do you knock this Blue coloured part off or Does the Brass part unscrew from the housing? Not sure the photo came through.

Last edited:
That year motor used a gearcase head assy with a pressed-in stainless steel weed/fishline guard over the seal, and the seal was not sold separately. But of of course we all know that was nonsense. Sure you can replace the seal by knocking off the stainless guard and putting it back on when done. Having said that, many of the guards fell off and won't stay on anyway.

Summing up, the seal is part number 313284 and is sold separately and available. Sierra aftermarket number is 18-2005

Ok, will try to tap it apart. Hope i don't wreck this.Thanks

Back