Logo

1971 60hp Evinrude electric shift looses power at 3/4 throttle

pietro

Contributing Member
Hi there, here I am trying to recover an old evinrude according to a restorated 1970 runaboat. The engine sat for long, years, then I had carburators washed, new impeller, oil and hydro fluid, new tank end fuel line, put in the water and started promptly, electric shift ran great (!!!), no smoke, pissed ok from cooling, no heat on powerhead after 10 minutes. But it runs great with no esitation till 3/4 throttle, then seems to loose power, and as I pull back below 3/4 it turns to run great again. As the engine is not worth a deep investigation, help me with some good advices or I will look around for another engine. Thank you guys!

What do you mean by " carburetors washed "-Never heard of the term before.-----------Check compression.-Pull the flywheel , clean and set the points.---Clean rotor and distributor cap.---------Assemble and make sure you have spark on all 3 cylinders.

What do you mean by " carburetors washed "-Never heard of the term before.-----------Check compression.-Pull the flywheel , clean and set the points.---Clean rotor and distributor cap.---------Assemble and make sure you have spark on all 3 cylinders.
Thank you racerone, excuse my poor english, I meant that I had the 3 carbs cleaned by my mechanic. Do you think it's mainly an electric problem rather than a fuel one?

Back