Logo

1970 Mercury 200 20hp only sparks when spinning counterclockwise

mkvien

I bought this engine in a box this spring due to the lower unit being disassembled, after a lot of trial and error I got the lower unit right (I was dealing with a newer lower unit and the shifting was backwards from the original, but I figure out a solution). Anyway, got the engine running pretty well and used it 2-3 fishing trips. Last time out it didn't want to fire, just here and there, but it wouldn't run. I've been messing with it on and off for about a month trying to figure out what went wrong, found insulation coming off of the stator wires so I fixed that, points looked ok. Still nothing. Then as I was taking the nut off to remove the flywheel this afternoon for about the 5th time I noticed I had good blue spark when I spun the engine backwards with the tool I was using to remove the flywheel nut. This was discovered purely by accident as I had zip-tied a test plug to the powerhead to check spark since I couldn't spin the engine and hold the test plug at the same time. Still no spark spinning clockwise. I looked at the recoil I had pulled off and pulled the rope a few times to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Any ideas? Seems that the stator, coil, points must be ok if I get spark, right?

Thank you.

thanks for the reply. I only removed the 2 1/4" bolts required to attach the puller, and it's keyed to the crankshaft, so is there still a way I could have messed that up?

Thank you for the reply Jeff. I only removed the 2 1/4" bolts required to attach the puller, and it's keyed to the crankshaft, so is there still a way I could have messed that up?

Back