Logo

1970 Evin. 115ESL70D

fishinwrench

Contributing Member
It came to me last Fall with no fire, the ground pin on the amphenol connector was corroded and only about 3 strands making the gnd. connection for the pulse pack. I repaired that and regained good fire, all else seemed fine so out she went.

This Spring it came back..... no fire. Pulse pack had 12.8 going in but failed the sensor wire snap test, R&R'd the pack and coil (kit from CDI) and swapped out a sloppy anti-reverse spring.... intermittant fire on 1&2 only now, Renewed the dist. cap and wires (cap rotor is NLA so I cleaned it up as best I could (it still has some pitting) and checked the sensor rotor to be sure it was the phase 2 rotor (per CDI note).
I still only have fire to 1&2 and it is a bit on the weak side, so.....

We are at close to 1000.00 P&L already and I wanna know ....

#1. Is there a bench test for the sensor (that old neon test light crap is BS....been there/done that/not going back) the sensor is over 200 beans and I don't wanna sell this guy one if he doesn't need it....he's being hit hard enough already.

#2 where can I get a cap rotor for this dinosaur for a reasonable price?

And #3. Am I overlooking something stupid ? I hate these ignition systems....should be simple snd easy to undetstand but I have issues with old outdated ignition systems that predate my training for some reason. I need to get this POS fixed and out of my hair.

Thanks, Wrench

Does it have the " clipper " in the system ?-------Spark on 1 and 2 would suggest a problem in the distributor / wires side of things.-------------Do you get strong steady spark checking directly from the coil.

Last edited:
Yeah I have good fire from the coil. I suspect the sensor is bad. There is continuity through it all the time, shouldn't it show a resistance difference when the sensor rotor lugs pass by it?

What are you calling a "clipper" ? A/R spring? Yes.

We are not talking the anti-reversing spring , but rather the clipper circuit.-------The sensor would fire all 4 coils. If you just rotate the rotor slowly , why would the resistance change? And does the sensor show the same resistance in all 4 positions ?

Well I assumed the resistance reading between the two sensor terminals would change when the rotor passes by it. I mean how else could it work? The pack fires the coil when the sensor leads circuit is completed, so shouldnt a VOM show "open" betwren the lugs and "closed" when a lug passes by it......cuz it doesn't, it just shows closed all the time. (Closed meaning that there is straight continuity between the sensor tabs regardless of rotor position)..

Sorry but you've lost me on "clipper circuit", what are we talking about there?

It is electric shift with a "shift switch" that I am ignorant about also, but for test purposes I tried isolating it and there was no change..... for whatever that's worth.

The " clipper " is called ignition safety circuit and is item 88 if you look on the parts pages on this site.-------------You totally misunderstand how the sensor works, sorry.-----------Look for issues with wires / rotor and distibutor cap.

Wires and distributor are fresh and fine, distributor rotor is NLA but I have fire on 1&2.

Can you help me understand how the sensor works? The manual doesn't explain it, just gives the stupid neon test light procedure which tells me nothing.

The same sensor fires all 4 so if it fires 1 and 2 ???-------What is the " airgap " on the sensor coil set at ??

Last edited:
Original sensor gap is supposed to be .028

CDI's *note* says to set it at. 020 with phase 2 rotor.

I have tried both settings, with no change. This thing is driving me bat****. I wish I understood the sensor function.

Back