Logo

1970 350 commander distributors

chris_holt

Contributing Member
I am trying to source out new distributors for a 1970 CC 350 Commander with twin 350 motors. They must have the tach drives and the flat top caps to stay original. Does any one know where to purchase new ones?

There comes a time when performance must outweigh being original.
How important is it to remain original?
Is the flat cap necessary for clearance?
Could you convert to electric impulse tachometers?

Otherwise, you will limit yourself to the original Mallory flat cap with tach drives.
If you want electronic triggering, you're stuck with the Hall Effect conversions, of which I could never recommend to anyone.
If you do the conversion only, you'll want to have the advance curves checked, and new shaft bushings installed.

I don't mind having points instead of electronic, and the flat tops are merely for factory appearance. There is plenty of room to install high tops if so required. The tach drives are not an option though. The boat has the beautiful CC chrome tachs on the dash, and they must stay and be operational. The existing distributors are old, rusty, missing springs, and need new bushings. I would rather just buy new distributors instead of having these ones rebuilt, and waiting for them to come back, but have not been able to establish a part number.

Chris

See post # 6 here for the Mallory YLM 623 AV or BV.
images

This would get you into a YLM series.... no photo eye, no Hall Effect..... just good ole VR triggering.

As with any ignition system, place more importance on your TA or TAT, than BASE advance for any Marine Engine.
See your OEM specs for correct curve and most importantly, your TA.

Verify that your RH rotation engine is or is NOT using a twin gear camshaft drive!
You'll need to know if you need a pair of AV's, or one of each AV and BV.

Back