Logo

1969 Johnson 20RL-69D coughs and wont idle

I have a 1969 Johnson 20 HP electric start model # 20RL-69D The motor ran ok, but not great when I got it about 2 months ago. Now it won't idle and coughs and dies. It is also hard to start now unless you have it at a high throttle. It runs fine at higher rpm's and has good power. Is this a spark issue or carb???? I have not done anything to it other then I put in a new impeller. Where should I start, new plugs? Carb kit? I know just enough about boat motors to get myself in trouble. lol

You have tried simply giving the slow speed needle a tweak toward rich----haven't you? Sneezing and stalling at idle is a sign of too lean.

You have tried simply giving the slow speed needle a tweak toward rich----haven't you? Sneezing and stalling at idle is a sign of too lean.
The only idle speed adjustment I can find is the on on the front of the motor pictured below. It says lean -rich and I have turned it both ways with not much change. So I took the arm off the arrow is pointing to and moved it to where it will go more to the rich side and that seams to have helped but I have not been able to run the motor on the water yet
000_0006.jpg

There should be a idle stop screw and spring on the side of the powerhead where the gears go from the tiller handle up the side of the powerhead on the throttle lever.

Back