Logo

1967 Evinrude 40 hp stalls like it is starving for fuel

Spivey

New member
I have a 1967 Evinrude Lark IX 40 Selectric Shift. When I start it and take off it goes a short distance (bout 1/8 mile) and starts stalling. It will die unless I manually pump/squeeze the bulb on the fuel line. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
 
Re: 67 Evinrude 40 horse stalls like it is starving for fuel

Sounds like a failing fuel pump assuming that you do not have any fuel/air leaks between the fuel pump and the fuel supply.
 
Re: 67 Evinrude 40 horse stalls like it is starving for fuel

Thanks. I fear a bad pump is the problem but I want to rule out other possibilities before ordering one. It could also be a problem with poor connections in the fuel lines between the pump and the tank. Other than closely examining it (eyeballing it) how can I rule out air entering the lines there?
 
Re: 67 Evinrude 40 horse stalls like it is starving for fuel

If air is entering the lines, by the same token fuel will be leaking out which would be obvious via sight and/or smell.
 
Back
Top