Logo

1967 40hp Johnson won't keep running

sixpockets

I bought a 1967 40hp Johnson motor. It was running great until last weekend. it started sputtering, thought it was the spark plugs, changed those. Put it back in the water and now it won't keep running. I squeeze the primer bulb, the motor will run for a few second and die. I checked the fuel filter, seemed fine but decided to bypass the filter to make sure it was/or wasn't it. The motor still does the same thing. Could it be a float problem? If you have any suggestions, they'll be GREATLY appreciated! Take it easy on me now, I'm a woman and am trying my hardest to figure this out. :eek:) Thanks!

These motors were famous for bad / cracked ignition coils . so check and see if spark will jump a gap of 1/4" or more.----------If it does not then the ignition needs to be looked at.------------------If motor sat for long periods of time then the carburetor may need a good cleaning and a couple of new gaskets.-----------Start by removing the plug ( 7/16" wrench ) on the carburetor bowl and see if the end of it is clean or greenish looking.---------

It has been sitting for a while, so it does look like my best bet will be to check that plug and clean the carburetor first. I'll give this a try. Thank you racerone!

uhhh, nope, that was the first thing I checked. But, thanks for the suggestion. Have it in the shop now, they are rebuilding the carburetor. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Back