Logo

1967 20 horse johnson throttle linkage

Jerry Moss

NEED help repairing throttle linkage on my motor. Help on replacing plastic shear pin in the linkage going up into the motor....and placement of pin in handle around the spring. Have tried posting more in depth but keeps failing to post. If his is a success I will be more detailed in future post.

First, make sure you don't have some broken rubber motor mounts. That could be the cause of the broken plastic pin in the vertical shaft. Otherwise, simply undo the clip at the top and the brass clamps holding the top end of the shaft and lift it out of the bottom bevel gear. The broken pin likely is frozen in the shaft and you may have to drill it out or something. Then clean the crud out of the hole, lubricate with some waterproof grease and put it all back together with a new pin.

The pin in the handle rarely gives any problem. Does it really need to be replaced? If it does, just pound it out with a hammer and punch.

Thanks for the response. Figured out the plastic pin...out and ready for part. The pin in the handle was missing along with the spring. I can't tell where the pen goes but may when I have it. I am going to need advice time to time. Will try to not be too bothersome. When trying to write a post I have o type real slow and keep repeating letters that don't come up. Only place it happens is here. Is that a common thing.

Make sure the points plate under the flywheel moves nice and smooth and doesnt wiggle up and down. What usually wears the pin out is a sticky armature plate. If you dont know how old the points are put in new points and condensers when the flywheel is off. Use a high quality marine lithium grease after you clean the bracket and ring that holds the plate on.

That slow typing used to happen to me also. But it somehow cured itself. I think it may have been caused by streaming video ads using all your resources. Perhaps the moderator can help.

Thanks....didn't want to go this far but it probably needs it. Thermostat was, I'm sure, the original. Probably also with points and other things.
May as well go all the way. Has excellent equal pressure. Removed old and hardened fuel lines...they actual shattered. Found a "nipple" looking thing in bottom of motor...worries me...think I found where it goes but not sure. May send pic for a more experienced opinion.

Found oil recirculation line...comes from side....the "hole" I'm concerned with is on front of motor under and behind carb. May just be a sealed opening with no purpose. Am gonna look at friends motor today and check it. The broken nipple I found may have been from oil line previous repair. Can anyone tell me how much difference in 69 20 horse and a 67 20 horse. Finally found a manual for a 69. Would it be much help?

Need to know what this is...looks like a nipple or something to go in it. Found a broken nipple in bottom of motor. Anyone know. Have more pics if it will help.

Attachments

• MOTOR HOLE.jpg
    MOTOR HOLE.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20160218_115549.jpg
    20160218_115549.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 39
69 / 67 model ?------------No difference except for the paint colour and decals.-----Will have to look at a couple of block later today to see about the " missing " fitting spot.

Last edited:
That would be where the nipple would be if you had an older motor with a pressure tank. You don't, so that is just a blanked hole. Doesn't go through, does it?

There are minor differences 67/69, mainly the crankcase drainage system, but for all practical purposes they are the same basic motor.

I believe the 67 gearbox was a little beefier plus the carbs are different but the powerhead looks the same. Show us pics of the broken nipple did you get the throttle lever working properly? Did you check adjust engine sync between timing advance and throttle opening?

Thanks so much for this help. Finally have all parts I need. Gonna start again on motor soon. Glad to hear about the port. I first joined another site. Posted my original post and have never received one reply. Comforting to know there is help available. I noticed on the plastic shear pin for the throttle linkage that one end is wider that the other end. I will figure it out with pics but appreciate any reply.

Both ends should be the same.------------At one time those were brass I believe.---Have a couple of them on hand still.

Back