Logo

1966 Evinrude 18HP 2-Stroke, how do I find out if it needs the dual line tank?

MelonBoi1

Member
So my 18Hp Fastwin didn’t come with a fuel tank but I don’t know if it needs the pressure tank and stuff. It has a 2 port fuel pump and there is one line going to it from the fuel connector and the other line goes to the carb. I don’t know much about the history of these so I just want to figure out if I can just run a regular fuel tank on it. I haven’t got it running yet though.
 
Post a picture of what you are calling a bypass cover.----The fuel pump mounts on one bypass cover.----And the other cylinder also has a bypass cover.-----Model # of your motor ?------I believe you will have to remove flywheel to inspect coils and the magneto.-----Install a new water pump impeller.----Inspect the thermostat as they are often stuck open or missing.----Found one stuck open today.
 
Yeah don’t worry I did all that, new points, condensers, and I have a coil I just have to wait until I go back down to the shore. We don’t live their full time so I can only give so much info. And as soon as I get it running I do plan to put a water pump in it. I already put new gear oil in it. And the thermostat is missing so that also needs done.
 
IMG_4615.jpeg

Model number or serial number was 18603C. I already put a new rope in it. One very interesting thing is that the upper half of the engine looks to have been red originally, so possibly someone rebuilt this with a Johnson cylinder? This thing also looks like it had been repainted at least 3 times. There is original evinrude blue, Johnson green, Johnson red, and black.
 
All blocks were red primer.----Replacement blocks came with that red primer.-----Is the serial # below the fuel pump the same as the number on the transom bracket ?
 
Ahh thanks for the info, also I didn’t know there was another number under the fuel pump. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of that
 
So my 18Hp Fastwin didn’t come with a fuel tank but I don’t know if it needs the pressure tank and stuff. It has a 2 port fuel pump and there is one line going to it from the fuel connector and the other line goes to the carb. I don’t know much about the history of these so I just want to figure out if I can just run a regular fuel tank on it. I haven’t got it running yet though.
 
Impulse fuel pumps always have 3 lines:
One to crankcase pressure, here it goes to the transfer port cover (bypass cover, whatever).
One to the fuel inlet, the pump sucks from this line.
One to the carburetor, it squirts fuel into this line.

Hook a tank to the thing, squeeze the primer, and enjoy.
 
Many outboard fuel pumps use just a fuel in hose and a fuel out hose.-----They mount directly over the crankcase PRESSURE port so there is no need for a third hose..
 
Impulse fuel pumps always have 3 lines:
One to crankcase pressure, here it goes to the transfer port cover (bypass cover, whatever).
One to the fuel inlet, the pump sucks from this line.
One to the carburetor, it squirts fuel into this line.

Hook a tank to the thing, squeeze the primer, and enjoy.






Your 18Hp Fastwin likely uses a pressure-fed fuel system, which typically needs a pressure tank to work correctly. The two-port fuel pump relies on engine-driven pressure to deliver fuel to the carburetor. If you use a regular tank, you may need to modify the setup, adding a fuel pump for proper fuel delivery. Check the pump and lines for functionality. My younger sister was panicking about her school assignment, so I decided to help her find a reliable essay service. This boomessays.com site had excellent reviews, so we gave it a try. The paper they delivered was beautifully written and aligned perfectly with her teacher’s instructions. She was thrilled with the outcome, and I was happy to have found such a trustworthy platform for her.
Can I ask something regarding this over here or should I start my own thread? I apologize if I did something wrong by replying on someone else post. I am new here.
 
Back
Top