Logo

1965 Evinrude Angler 5hp

plane

Hi again...this year's project motor is an Angler that I bought from a guy who'd hung it as a kicker on his bass boat. In the process he broke off the skeg and lost the tiller, and painted it black to match his Mercury main engine. I've righted all those wrongs, and now it's time to get it in the test tank. It does run, or at least did when I bought it...my question is what the right fuel mix is...he said 40:1, and other sources seem to say 50:1. Also, what's the proper initial setting on the low-speed needle? I'd guess it's either out 3/4 turn or 1-1/2.

Many thanks for help with previous small motors, all of which have been part of the search for the ultimate propulsion on my Grumman Sportsboat. So far it's had an '80 Johnson 4, a '60 Evinrude 3, a '79 Johnson 2, a '04 Honda 5, and a '84 Johnson 6. The latter 2 were a bit heavy for my liking, and since this '65 Angler only weighs a little more than the 4 I hope it provides a nice output in a handy package. If not, well there's my other current engine, an '02 Nissan 3.5 2-stroke. So much for brand loyalty.

Since someone invariably asks, model number is 5502S. Thanks for reading!

Back