Logo

1963 Johnson 18 hp FD-17B questions

gixxer9999

Need help with a few things with this motor that was given to me. 1st question what is the fuel/oil mix. I found 50/1 and 24/1 all over the net not sure what to use. 2nd question does anyone know where I can find an owners manual online or any kind of manual for this motor. To be safe I ran 24/1 mix and ran the motor. It started and idle ok. when I increased throttle it was ok till about 1/2 throttle then no matter how much I gave it, it really did not run out, kinda bogged above 1/2 throttle. I have questions on the Lean, Rich dials on the front of the motor that is why I was hoping to find an owners manual. All help is greatly welcome.. Thanks ahead of time.

The 1963 18hp model incorporates needle, roller, and/or ball bearings on all of the powerhead moving parts. As such you can safely use the 50/1 fuel/oil mixture.

That model should have only one adjustable needle valve on the carburetor. The high speed fuel flow is controled by a brass jet which is located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber.... way in back of the drain plug.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)
Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.
When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thanks for the info. This model just has the one carb. I will change the mix to 50/1 then work on the needle valve adjustments. It seems like alot to get this old motor to run right but I would love to use it on my Jon boat. Thanks again and anyone out there with anymore info for this motor I welcome it.

No throttle response , make sure that it is running on both cylinders ------------It has a duel ignition set-up and those motors often have a dead cylinder / no spark on one.

I recently dropped the lower unit to check the condition of the impeller and I can't get it back in. When I tighten the bolts the engine locks up and will not turn.I can't figure out what I did wrong.

I have a 1963 Johnson FD-17B 18hp. I am having problems with starting. When I start motor it goes wide open. It ran and idled fine 3 Months ago and now I can't get it to throttle down when starting. Anyone have any suggestions?

Linkages stuck ?----Plastic pin on bottom of the vertical shaft broken ?----Post video of linkages when you are turning the throttle grip ?

I'm just north of Daytona, used to know a guy over there you could take it to; Futch, but he passed away. If you can't get right, bring it over, we'll fix it.

Back