Logo

1956 Evinrude 15hp Fastwin not turning over

CaptainA

Hello All! I recently purchased a 1956 Evinrude fastwin, 15hp, and the originalpressurizedd tank. I tried running it in a test tank, with no success other than a loud pop in the bucket. I took it out to a lake yesterday, and tried to get it to start. Again, no cigar. Any ideas as to what it might be? Another thing i noticed is that air is escaping from the hose where it connects to the motor, and gas was dripping out of the motor just below the carb. Im pretty sure that it has good compression and good spark. Maybe it needs some starting spray? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Spark must jump a gap of 1/4" or more.-----------Do that test.------------------Or backfiring could be as simple as plug wires on wrong.

The cap must be tightened for the fuel system to function. There can be no air or fuel leaks in either of the two lines. The o-rings at the fuel connector must be in good condition. The fuel filter located in the fuel bowl beneath the carburetor must not be clogged. What fuel/oil mix are you using?

The cap must be tightened for the fuel system to function. There can be no air or fuel leaks in either of the two lines. The o-rings at the fuel connector must be in good condition. The fuel filter located in the fuel bowl beneath the carburetor must not be clogged. What fuel/oil mix are you using?
I am using 24:1

This motor that you bought--did you get any history on it? No 1956 Evinrude is going to run if it still has the original ignition coils in it. They are guaranteed to be shot (cracked) unless they have already been replaced. Get new ones here at marineengine.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 38
This motor that you bought--did you get any history on it? No 1956 Evinrude is going to run if it still has the original ignition coils in it. They are guaranteed to be shot (cracked) unless they have already been replaced. Get new ones here at marineengine.

Yeah it was supposedly running a little while ago, how easy are those to replace?

Step one: Remove the recoil starter, then the thin cover off the flywheel. Peer into the hole under the cover and you will be able to see the coils (and the points & condensers. Then evaluate and proceed according to what you see.

To do anything in there you need to remove the flywheel. You need a proper puller to get it off, and a torque wrench to tighten the nut to 40-45 foot pounds when you reinstall it. There are several good videos on You Tube, and some not-so-good. Look for ones by cajuncookone.

Back