Logo

185 50HP overheating at idle only

Progator135

Regular Contributor
Figure Id go ahead and make a new thread on this...Title says it all. Water pump isnt new but is working great..strong pee stream... but stream never warms up at all.
After 5 minutes or so at anything below 1200ish RPM.. top cylinder gets hot and buzzer sounds. I can run at meduim throttle to WOT all day long and not a problem. New thermostat installed and just found out on other thread that the thermostat seal is installed incorrectly. Could this be causing this to happen??
Ive had head off and theres no blockage anywhere. Had the side water passage cover off also...no blockage anywhere. the hole to the top cylinder is clear.
My only guess at this point is the water pump seems strong...but maybe it isnt strong enough. had it out and checked everything. Impeller is soft & pliable, the tines are curved some but thats pretty normal right? New seals in pump housing and throughout gearcase. no indication of wear anywhere. Oh..and was tested in a tank of water just above where the gearcase mates. Not muffs.

So someone explain this to me..water is pumped up and fills the block. some is expelled overboard through the pee tube..should be filling all the way to the top...when the thermostat opens...where does it flow? The bypass valve and spring is in good shape and a new grommet there also. When does that function? A little better knowledge of how the water flows may help me figure this out.
Also feeling it as it warms up, the head itself is getting hotter faster than the block. If thats of any diagnostic help.

Figure Id go ahead and make a new thread on this...Title says it all. Water pump isnt new but is working great..strong pee stream... but stream never warms up at all.
After 5 minutes or so at anything below 1200ish RPM.. top cylinder gets hot and buzzer sounds. I can run at meduim throttle to WOT all day long and not a problem. New thermostat installed and just found out on other thread that the thermostat seal is installed incorrectly. Could this be causing this to happen??
Ive had head off and theres no blockage anywhere. Had the side water passage cover off also...no blockage anywhere. the hole to the top cylinder is clear.
My only guess at this point is the water pump seems strong...but maybe it isnt strong enough. had it out and checked everything. Impeller is soft & pliable, the tines are curved some but thats pretty normal right? New seals in pump housing and throughout gearcase. no indication of wear anywhere. Oh..and was tested in a tank of water just above where the gearcase mates. Not muffs.

So someone explain this to me..water is pumped up and fills the block. some is expelled overboard through the pee tube..should be filling all the way to the top...when the thermostat opens...where does it flow? The bypass valve and spring is in good shape and a new grommet there also. When does that function? A little better knowledge of how the water flows may help me figure this out.
Also feeling it as it warms up, the head itself is getting hotter faster than the block. If thats of any diagnostic help.

try making the pee hose long enough to run up over the top of the block and then out the pee hole....that will tell you if the water pump is pumping enough or not sounds like it needs a new water pump kit with housing

Back