Logo

18 evinrude fastwin overheating

revenge22

Contributing Member
I have a 1970 18 fastwin that overheated. I replaced the waterpump (bizarre... the bushing in the center of the impeller separated from the impeller causing it to just sit there without pumping water. never seen that before) and now it pumps water like mad, but the powerhead still gets over 210 degrees! I took the t stat out and left the housing open to see if any water was being pumped. it barely pumped any water to it. could the heads be clogged? When it overheated, it got to (best guess) well over 250 degrees. maybe something melted under the powerhead and its causing a blockage? Ill pop the head off and have a look, but any suggestions?

There is a plastic restrictor, part number 313435, in the water outlet from the powerhead. Expect to find it melted. However. that is after the water goes through the powerhead, so you have another problem before it gets that far.

Yes, I have seen way too many impeller hubs separated. Evinrude told me it is caused by electrolysis.

Have to ask------Did the water tube come out attached to the pump ?----Was the tube installed into the grommet in the exhaust housing first ?

oh gotcha thats what I figured! It did sit for a while last summer without being flushed so might be a few blockages going on (salt), especially after the overheat i suppose. i appreciate the p/n ill order one and get the p/h pulled. Looks like a few hour job

no it was separated... still in the powerhead. it does pump really well and gets SOME water to the head, but hardly enough. maybe they are not mating correctly?

Back