Logo

175 Mercruiser Trim Cylinders

mattielp

Recently acquired a 1987 Sea Ray Seville. Former owner died of cancer, not sure what has been done to boat and motor. Boat has the 175 Bravo outdrive, question is, why would the trim cylinders be detached from its installed position? Would this be because he would have been working on it? Boat has been winterized and shrink wrapped. This is a part of the winterizing process, or am I just worrying too much?
Thanks in advance

Matt

Recently acquired a 1987 Sea Ray Seville. Former owner died of cancer, not sure what has been done to boat and motor. Boat has the 175 Bravo outdrive, question is, why would the trim cylinders be detached from its installed position? Would this be because he would have been working on it? Boat has been winterized and shrink wrapped. This is a part of the winterizing process, or am I just worrying too much?
Thanks in advance

Matt

today I am winterizing my 20 ft wellcraft. I disconnect the trim cylinders from the drive ...remove the drive and place in my heated basement ..cylinders are fully retracted .. why, with the drive mounted ,,,the cylinders not mounted is stange..unless he was gonna remove drive to service it .

Thanks for the reply, the prop is in need of fixing/replacing. Was chewed up by something.
As for the whole drive unit itself, it looks in top shape, not to say it doesn't have a problem though. I guess I'll have to investigate further in the spring, what do you guys think he would have been attempting with the cylinders been removed from its installed position?
What should I be looking for? - only familiar with outboard motors.

what do you guys think he would have been attempting with the cylinders been removed from its installed position?
What should I be looking for?

Ayuh,... My guess is he was pullin' the drive for service....
For an $8.dollar gasket, you can pull it, 'n Look around...

It should be an annual event anyways....

Back