Logo

150 VRO WOT stall problem

jmiddles

I have a 1985-6 150hp VRO. I can run WOT for 4-6 seconds then it loses RPMs like I'm shutting off the gas, it will continue to run at idle usually or may stall and then start up again. After a couple of seconds i can run it up to WOT again and the cycle will continue. If I back off the throttle after I plane out it continues to run usually for awhile but can have same problem. If I pump the primer bulb as it is dying it will run. Pushing the key in to choke it has no effect. I have replaced suspicious looking fuel lines, blown out the fuel tank vent tube, checked the primer tube and bulb for vacuum leaks (no leak), ran a different fuel tank and hose to eliminate the fuel tank pickup, inspected the fuel filter and gaskets (but didn't replace them). I am running out of trouble shooting ideas and suspecting that I need to replace the VRO pump. I am hesitant to do this since the pumps are so expensive. What else can I try or what (other than the fuel pump) could be wrong. I don't get any warning sounds from an alarm either. I was going to replace remaining fuel lines and filter to eliminate any air leaks.

Take the pump apart and see what is wrong.-They are surprisingly easy to work on.---This site has a fuel piston repair kit available.

I did a search for a vro pump repair kit or a fuel piston repair kit and didnt get any results. I am maybe looking in the wrong place, where can I find these kits?

Back