Logo

150 Mercury XR2 - fuel issue - leans out, won't start - now unidentified electrical component smoking

Jtcarter21

New member
I have a 1985 Mercury 150 xr2 that has always had issues going wot, but after trying to woek on it last year its gotten worse.



First off though, there is a small box on top of the motor, behind the flywheel at the very back of the motor that started smoking later in the year. I thought it might be the rectifier, but it only had 2 posts, with a red wire and a dark yellow wire. What is this thing?



Next up, the fuel issue was improved when I cleaned all the carbs, next up I rebuilt the fuel pump and it just seemed to get worse from there. I took it to a shop and they told me the top carbs were doing good, but the bottoms were not putting ouy enough fuel. I bought the carburetor cleaning solvent to dip them, cleaned them again, and checked everything looked ok to me, I already did the rebuild kits with new gaskets, float pins/sits, etc.



In the middle of all this the head gasket failed. It was replaced , compression is good 115 ish on 5 cylinders but there isnsome scarring on top right cylimder wall from overheating, but compressiom was still 105-110. Its not worth rebuilding at this point, but I'd like to get some more life out of it if possible.


Thanks to everyone in advance for your help!
 
The small box may be your idle stabilizer. If it is, there should be 3 wires, black also for ground.
This is it, only 2 wires, haven't found anything about it on wiring diagrams, looks like the wires go to the rectifier.
 

Attachments

  • 20260503_103009.jpg
    20260503_103009.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 25
The
There was never a 3rd wire, the top was solid before the hile formed, the two wires gonto what I think is the rectifier thats bolted in with the rest of the electrical connections.
 

Attachments

  • 20260503_114814.jpg
    20260503_114814.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 18
I think you have a 2 part rectifier/regulator. The 2 terminal box is the voltage regulator. You can most likely replace it with a newer style all-in-one rectifier/regulator.
 
I think you have a 2 part rectifier/regulator. The 2 terminal box is the voltage regulator. You can most likely replace it with a newer style all-in-one rectifier/regulator.
That makes sense, kind of what I was expecting, drove the boat 20 miles today so whatever it is its not causing any real issues.
 
Back
Top