Logo

150 looper questions

zackfactor

Regular Contributor
ok here it goes i got 2 questi

ok here it goes i got 2 questions this time. i bought a mako with a pair of 1994 150 loopers on it a while back. motors got 246 hours on them and havent been ran since 2001. after much headache i got the carbs and the vst cleaned. while running the stbd motor the other day after about 10 minutes i notices a distinct knocking sound. immediately i shut the motor down and pulled the plugs. they looked fine. so i dug deeper and pulled the cover off the flywheel. i could not find a loose rod bearing by turning the motor by hand and it has 120lbs on each cylinder. however i can move the whole crank back and forth ever so slightly and hear the same knockso i am assuming that a main bearing went bad. my question is what could cause this on a motor with so few housr on it. the other motor is fine. btw the oil injection has been unhooked since new on both engines and gas was mixed at 50:1 at time of failure.

my second question is this. i was given a 95 150 evinrude that has around 1100 hours on it. this motor also has 120lbs on all cylinders. will i notice a differenve in performance between the 2?

thanks in advance

"This can be a number of diffe

"This can be a number of different things, Pre-Mix is just a guarantee of oil been delivered to the carburetors yes carburetors, how and if any proper oil gets to each cylinder and bearings is another story. Fault or plugged carburetors will starve the cylinder of gas running it dry creating friction and heat and will ultimately fail.
Clogged re-circulating check valves or loose hoses will deprive the proper lubrication of bot the upper and lower bearings.
Reason for the long the explanation is the fact if you had the VRO connected guess who was going to get the blame?"

"the vro was not connected, bu

"the vro was not connected, but thanks for the reply. i am goin to tear the motor down tonight and will post my findings. thanks again."

Back