Logo

150 alpha to 184

ejbreeze

Regular Contributor
"Hi All

Recently bought a 1

"Hi All

Recently bought a 1984 26ft Sleekcraft with a Mercruiser 350 Magnum and a Alpha drive with a 1.50 ratio. The boat at WOT, around 4800-5000 rpm, will due about 48 mph. I know I can increase the prop to achieve a higher mph and lower my rpm a tad but I am wondering since the boat came with a extra stern drive, ratio 1.84, if I could replace the 1.50 drive with the 1.84 and at worst cast prop down. I would like to take the winter to go thru the 1.84 ratio drive and help to make it stronger as many of you suggested and get it ready for spring. Thanks for you help.

Ej"

"Ayuh,.......

Going to the

"Ayuh,.......

Going to the 1.84 will Increase your rpms,....
Not Decrease them......

You just need a Bigger Prop......"

Rule 1. If it works..dont fix

Rule 1. If it works..dont fix it.
Rule 2. If in doubt..refer to rule 1.

It is much easier to reprop than to change out a drive that will need to be reprop'd also.

"The 1.5 is the right drive fo

"The 1.5 is the right drive for your 350 Mg. The 1.84 is for V-6's. 48 mph sounds about right for that boat and engine combo.

Your RPM range of 4800-5000 is right where you want it. If you prop up to reduce WOT RPM, you will likely LOSE top speed. That's right, LOSE.
Not only that, you will reduce hole shot performance. It will be doggier out of the hole and take longer to plane out. Skiing and wakeboarding will suffer.

The best prop is the one that just gives you the right WOT RPM with one person on board.
When in doubt, refer to rule 1.

Rod"

"Carefull...
If you prop it f

"Carefull...
If you prop it for a one person load for max speed, you will not be able to haul a normal amount of passengers without turning it into Cleopatra's wave pushin' barge without the power to pull a greased string out of a pig's a-s.
Refer to rule #1."

Back