Logo

140 hp Johnson 1989 Looper Shim amp Oil Question

souls

New member
"Hey guys,


I opened the gear to replace seals and bearings ... I have 2 questions and will appreciate much your inputs.

1) Upon opening the gear I found 1 shim located below the seal housing (the piece with 4 bolts) at the top of the shaft, I ordered two shim as per the parts catalouge ... My Seloc manual says I have to use a special shim gauge which I dont have ! Which shim should I use ? any hint or tip to resolve this issue. I have stopped assembling at this stage ....

2) Can I use a normal SAE90 gear oil for the lower unit ? I use this oil in gear driven bikes


Zee"
 
There is no hard and fast rule

There is no hard and fast rule as to how many shims to place under the housing...you must use what is required to shim the tolerance to omc specifications for your model. If you havent replaced anything apart from a seal i would put the original shim back in or obtain a original manual and shim tool.

Use only marine gear oil as the automotive oil uses sulpher as an anti foaming agent and if you do a seal in operating in salt water the oil water mix will turn corrosive
 
"[i] "Use only marine gear

" "Use only marine gear oil as the automotive oil uses sulpher as an anti foaming agent and if you do a seal in operating in salt water the oil water mix will turn corrosive"

As I understand it it is the EP additives which are the sulphur compounds and that they are the same in automotive oils and outboard gear oils, both complying with API specification GL5. Outboard gear oils do however I believe contain additional inhibitors to guard against the effects of water ingress."
 
"'Outboard gear oils do ho

"'Outboard gear oils do however I believe contain additional inhibitors to guard against the effects of water ingress'........I dont know about all that,....anti-foam properties,is most important,..."
 
Back
Top