Logo

124 Dollars down the drain

kubota

Been having a problem with my 2001 3HP 2stroke bogging down mid range.
Tried cleaning out the carboureter twice and not finding anything amiss, actually surprised how clean it was. Then tried a new plug, still the same.
Decided it was beyond my capabilities to diagnose the fault without spares to try and took the engine to a yamaha dealer.
I pick the motor up today and was told that the problem was a dirty carb, and it was cleaned and a new plug fitted.
Well OK, i must of missed something when i had a look i thought, but when i get home and put the motor on the boat and try it out it has the same problem that i put it in the shop to have fixed, starts very easily but as you put on the throttle it gets to a point that it begins to drop down in revs. Then you get to high revs and it goes great.
Rang the shop and had a talk to the mech that did the work and was told that the bogging down on these motors was common and it is a problem known with the carboureter.
Well i didn't take this too kindly after paying out the money for labour and not having the motor fixed.
Now looking for another mechanic that won't take my money and give nothing in return.
And i did tell the girl on the counter about what the motor was doing and she did write it down on the job card.
Just felt like having a whinge about today.
Rob.

Sounds like the motor is running too rich in the mid range. have you tried to clean out the fuel tank, put new fuel in with new oil. making sure that you have the correct mixture? you could try the mixture screw while on the water. just do not lean it out too much.

New fuel and oil it has got running 100=1
Did take to it with a screw driver and the mix screw seemed to make no difference at the revs when the motor is bogging down.
There is no high speed jet to adjust.

Running in a tank is how i am doing it. It will rev nicely up to about 1/4 throttle and then you go that little bit more and it will start to bog down, turn the throttle on more and it revs high.

No exhaust fan on tank. The tank is on the motor and holds about 1.5 litres.
The breather on the cap works, even tried it with the cap off.

I have a small outboard, with a built in tank, when I first got it, the carburetor jets would plug up on a regular basis. I cured the problem by installing a small inline fuel filter. I don't know if yours comes with one, but if not, but maybe after you cure your bogging down problem?? Speaking to the bogging down problem, it has been suggested that you may be running too rich at mid range. You can test this by squirting a shot of fuel into the carb, when it bogs down, if it revs up, its not running too rich. Also when you clean the carburetor, you need to dismantle it entirely, jets and all. With the tiny orifices and passages in these tiny carburetors it only takes a fleck of dirt to plug a passage or jet. Oh and I think racerone may have meant an exhaust fan for your test tank-- to remove exhaust fumes.

An inline filter is there , has been since i bought the motor. Right from when i got it the motor has done the same thing. Bought second hand 2 years ago.
It didn't bother me that much because all i used it for was trolling really slow. The wife wanted to go sightseeing, so after that is when i decided to find out what the problem was.
I will give the shot of fuel into the carb a try tomorrow.
The test tank OK i missed that one.
I run the motor outside in a large bucket.

Go get your $ back!!! Don't let them get away with that.
They are full of S^%$.Yamaha won't sell a motor that bogs.
Running in a bucket is no way to test for acceleration.
Put it on the dink and go for a ride.
If you pull the carb again check the reeds.

does this have the standard type of throttle on the tiller arm? have you checked for wear in the advance plates (dont know correct name) that are under the flywheel? or even the connecting mechanism. I had a 15hp evinrude that would bog down just after idle but was fine at idle and higher revs. turned out the knob that followed the slide under the flywheel was worn. just another thing to check I guess.

The reeds looked good but i didn't remove the assembly.
I did remove the flywheel but could not see any advance set up at all.
The motor has the standard type of throttle on the tiller arm.
I'll check on the spare parts list to see if i can find an advance set up. I would imagine that it would have to have some type of advancing. I initially thought it might do it from the black electrical box.

Back