Logo

120 drive to Alpha one drive %3cIMG SRC%3d%22httpwwwmarineenginecomdiscuscliparthappygif%22 ALT%3d%22%22 BORDER%3d0%3e

matte_lule

New member
"I now have a 3.0 mercruiser 1

"I now have a 3.0 mercruiser 140 with a 120 drive from somewere around 1976-1977.

I am going to install a V8 350 mercruiser with an Alpha one drive from around 1985.

is there any difference between the shield of the two engines?
Can i use the transomplate, gimbal house,and bell house from my old engine to the Alpha drive?

they look similar?

Does anyone know?

Im sorry for my english but i am from sweden and english is my second language


With best regards

Mattias"
 
"You would have to replace the

"You would have to replace the entire assembly.

But truthfully, your money would be better spent on a boat with a 350 in it. You could spend a lot by the time you buy all the parts to make a conversion on such an old boat. (manifolds, drive, gimble and transom, throttle cable parts, heat exchangers, blah blah blah. And thats without discussing the likelihood of rotten stringers and transom.

Sell that rig and spend the $ on one with a V8. Boats are cheap right now!"
 
Yes you can use the transome a

Yes you can use the transome assembly from the 4 cyl. for the v8. You also can use the Gimbal assembly. NO DIFFERENCE.

The only thing you need to do is to make sure you have all the parts for the "rams horn" exhaust.
The 4 cyl used only one the v8 uses 2. After you remove the 4 cyl engine I would remove the entire transome assembly and replace everything with NEW parts and it will also allow you to prepare it on a work bench instead of in the boat.
 
"[b]"I now have a 3.0 merc

""I now have a 3.0 mercruiser 140 with a 120 drive from somewere around 1976-1977.

I am going to install a V8 350 mercruiser with an Alpha one drive from around 1985."


Ayuh,...

Unfortunately,.. I gotta Disagree with ya Kghost,....

The old Mod.1 transom assemblies had a very different Y-pipe,+ it's lower bolt pattern is different...
Marrying the 85 center riser exhaust to the y-pipe of the mod.1, which he doesn't have, would also be quite an Adventure....

Also the rear motor mounts on the Mod.1 transom assemblies are 15" centers,...
By 1985 it's an Alpha, which have 9" centers...
And swapping the flywheel covers will be a problem, as the old Mod.1 in-line motors used a different back-spacing, hence the 8" driveshaft used on those drives....

Btw,... I Do agree with the above, that getting a Different boat is a much Better way to get there....."
 
Back
Top