Logo

115 exhaust cover

sullybe

Contributing Member
My 1978 merc has water in the

My 1978 merc has water in the bottom cylinder. My mechanic says it came from the exhaust cover gasket. The compression is 120 in the top 5 cylinders and 90 in the bottom. I want to pull the engine and replace the exhaust cover gasket but I am worried the water might have gotten into something else and I will be wasting my time. Has anyone had experience doing this repair and is it worth it to try.

Thanks Dan

Have you ever had any luck jus

Have you ever had any luck just replacing the gaskets without rebuilding the whole motor. I ask this because i am told parts are hard to get for these old mercs. Thanks for the advice.

Dan

"Not really, beacuse I am a sa

"Not really, beacuse I am a saltwater man and the damage is done before I can get to it.
Anyway these era Merc in-lines are the S.S. ring chew anyhow.
sad.gif
There is a good chance that you will find most of the pistons are really hammered when you get it apart. And a 6 cylinder is not that easy to rebuild."

"What is S.S,ring chew? I was

"What is S.S,ring chew? I was worried the water that got in the cylinder would get to the lower bearing or the reed block.Do you think the cylinders with the 120 lbs of pressure are in poor condition?
Thanks
Dan"

"I have decided to replace the

"I have decided to replace the exhaust cover gaskets. I have read the manual, it doesn't look to dificult. There is no mention of using anything on the gaskets. Do these gaskets get put on dry or should I use some sort of gasket sealer?

Thanks Dan"

"The repair won't last, 90

"The repair won't last, 90psi when the others are 120 indicates a problem. Pull the head and inspect what it causing the loss of compression. If not I can almost garantee that it will let go without to much warning."

The problem was that one cylin

The problem was that one cylinder got a little ( I hope ) water in it. I was going to put some Mystery Oil in it and start it up and run it for awhile after I replace the gaskets and hope the psi will come up.This engine doesn't have a head that can be removed to look at the cylinder. Do you know if I should use any type of sealer on the gasket?
Thanks for the advice.
Dan

Back