Logo

115 2 stroke 4 cyl reverse but clicking

gene_d

Regular Contributor
Outboard has worked great for years. Forward works great. Neutral works great. In the water, Put into reverse. Prop spins but has clicking.
I removed shift cable. Slid slider manually. Same clicking. Out of the water It engages fully with or without engine running. Using cables or not.
The lever hooked to the slider appears to be moving pretty far.
I am looking for advice where to look.

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, but in reverse, prop locks both ways, neutral it spins freely and in fwd, it will lock one way and ratchet/click the other

In reverse. If I push the prop hard Clockwise, the same clicking happens. If I push counterclockwise, The engine turns over.

You apparently sheared off your cog and slots in one direction.....That engine does not ratchet in Reverse. Either the shift dog riding/sliging on the prop shaft has the rear of it stripped, or the front of the R gear is stripped or both. Would bet it's the clutch dog as the gear is gear hardened and very tough.

No biggie. Drain the oil, pop the two bolts/nuts above and below the prop shaft and pull out the prop shaft and reverse gear and bearing with bearing carrier. Your problem will be immediately apparent. If any removable shims fall out keep track of where they were and return to that location. While you have it out you might as well replace your prop shaft seals...one facing in to keep oil in, one facing out to keep water out.

I found lots of metal on drain magnet. Did what you said. looks like the Shift cam was warn where the point of the pin rubbed it. The pin is also worn where the 3 ball bearings were touching. I guess with that wear the shift dog was not fully engaging. Now I have rounded edges in dog and rev gear.
Gear set is $800 dog is $200 Pin is $50. I can't find a cam yet. If just last weekend I would have replaced cam and pin ...
Never knew these were such wear items.

I don't understand how the pin touching the 3 ball bearings can wear at all. In neutral nothing is spinning except the 3 gears. In forward The cam has moved away the shift pin and there is no pressure on the ball bearings, the spring should push the dog into the fwd gear. In reverse there is the most pressure on ball bearings, But the prop shaft and dog and dog cross pin should all move together. Unless the point of shift pin touching cam is enough to keep the shift pin still. Then there would be wear on ball bearings. Reverse is rarely used. I wonder if the shift pins are too tight to the hole in prop shaft that no oil can get to bearings. Anybody have any idea how the shift pin could wear so bad on ball bearings?

Faztbullet went through this not too long ago. You are correct on your parts moving together analogy. The tip of the cam follower apparently wears off over time and he posted the part number for a replacement kit. I know the follower, balls, and I think I remember the clutch dog and pin are all parts of this kit as I recall. I also recall that I asked him (on here or another popular forum) why wasn't a new spring included in the kit and he said as you eluded....the spring is not under pressure normally....in F gear.

Rebuilt/guaranteed LUs are on the www for about $1600. Might not be a bad idea since you are looking at what you said. Bet Faztbullet knows where the best/cheapest are to be found also....get all new seals, water pump rebuilt, plus needed shifting parts, fresh paint......sounds pretty good to me.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/member.php?58989-faztbullet

Last edited:
I want to reseal my lower while it is down. I have found sites where I can buy seals piece by piece. I want OEM parts.
Does anyone offer an entire seal kit?

No idea. i have used Sierra and it seems that others using them are happy with the quality/accuracy of their products also. I find for older engines, ebay has parts OEM and Sierra that I can't find other places.

Back