Logo

06 25 hp efi

md_waterfowler

"Just wondering if there have

"Just wondering if there have been any changes in these motors between 06 and now. I am looking at getting a new outboard and a local dealer has some 06 leftovers still in the box for 2400. Just wondering if this is a good deal and if there were any problems with these motors, or would I be better off getting a 09"

"No major changes at all.

"No major changes at all.

The next probable change will be for the 2010 model year when the next set of EPA regs kick in - will require some finer tuning on the injection/intake plus the inclusion of catalytic converters on marine motors (details still sketchy on that one).

The 25 4 stroke Merc is really a Tohatsu with Merc colours, who also builds all the Nissans.

Since the list on a new one is about 3500-4300 bucks depending on the exact model , your quote of 2400 sounds pretty good.

I'm not super impressed with the performance of most small 4 strokes, but with the 25, it's a 3 cylinder model so runs fairly smoothly because of the extra cylinder (a 25 would normally just be a twin). And it's a 32 cubic inch powerhead, so they are not trying to squeeze too many horses out of it which should translate into a long life.

It is a little on the heavy side for a "portable" tipping the scales at about 185 pounds (dry), so not something you are going to throw over your shoulder and hike back into a cabin.

All in all a fairly decent motor and the price sounds very good..."

Thanks Alvin - was that to cor

Thanks Alvin - was that to correct an issue or just fine tune performance a bit?

"It was to "increase servi

"It was to "increase service interval"...That's Japanese for there were reports of failures. The interesting thing about that is that we didn't have any failures. I suspect that there may have been a bad batch of them somewhere in the world, but we didn't get any here in the U.S....Or some designer thought of adding something to the internals of it to make it better. The Japanese don't require a problem in advance in order to make a running design change, but changing the ECM does seem a little odd under the known circumstances. I'll be seeing the Tohatsu engineers next week so I'll ask what was really behind it."

Back