Logo

‘82 15 HP Evinrude - exhaust

Evinrude95

New member
Hello all,

im fairly new here, but I’m glad to be on board

can anyone tell me what’s going on with this?
was cruising and hear a slight pop so I nursed it back to the ramp and loaded her up.
also, any approximate cost if I took it somewhere or if it can be done myself? I’m pretty mechanically inclined but these older Evinrudes I’m not so knowledgeable on.

thanks and happy boating!
 
8c29650c-cdd5-4580-8823-a63a8d286f50
 
You've stated that you were cruising.... that doesn't tell us anything. You need to go into detail... half throttle, wide open full throttle, what?

And you heard a pop! Just exactly what happened after that pop which caused you to nurse the rig back to the boat ramp? We can't help diagnose a problem unless you take the time to explain what you encountered in detail.
 
You've stated that you were cruising.... that doesn't tell us anything. You need to go into detail... half throttle, wide open full throttle, what?

And you heard a pop! Just exactly what happened after that pop which caused you to nurse the rig back to the boat ramp? We can't help diagnose a problem unless you take the time to explain what you encountered in detail.
Joe,

For some reason I could not add photos. But here are some included.
Thanks for your time!

Edit: I was at near full throttle before figuring out that my powerhead and exhaust had this issue.
43184483_312143516247050_5041238625551908864_n.jpg43210561_1965043760462759_2812594715726184448_n.jpg
 
Step # 1 is to take power head and lower unit off.-----Then find a parts / donor motor for the used parts.-----Your location ?
 
Zoooowieee! Damn.... Just when you think you've heard and seen everything!

I just about slept, drank, ate, and dreamed outboards from 1960 to 1991 and never have I encountered that!
 
There should be multiple years and hp for the parts you may need the first thing is take it apart to access the damage. Get the part numbers including gaskets and bushings. Is there a auto pilot brake in the swivel bracket?
 
The 9.9 and 15hp models were the same in that era. Note to self give all grease zerts a good shot before winter storage!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top