Logo

Yamaha P165 - possible to value?

Devs Ad

Hello everyone.

The Sea Cadet unit where I help out has this amazing old cream-coloured Yamaha P165 2-stroke twin outboard. It's 'amazing' because it's barely been used - see photos below. Although not fired up recently, the engine is completely free-running and the compression suction sounds great.

Someone has expressed an interest in buying it, but I have no idea of its value. Whilst anything I can get for the Sea Cadets is helpful, I'd like it to be a good buy for the new owner too - I'd hope it would be someone who values the fact that it's a bit of a classic. (Tho' I should probably dismiss such romantic notions...)

This is in the UK. Can anyone give a ballpark figure for it, please? It is assumed to be in fully working order, and this would be confirmed before sale. It comes with its dedicated fuel tank.

Many thanks.
SAM_0001.JPGSAM_0005.JPGSAM_0007.JPGSAM_0008.JPGSAM_0009.JPGSAM_0002.JPG

Yes, a new impeller would be a standard replacement before it next takes to the water.

100 bucks?! Shurely shome mishtake? (with apologies to the late Sean Connery). That's £80 in 'proper' money :)

A quick look on eBay for 8hp 2-strokes have them ranging from £450 to well over £700, and all of these are well used. Although old, the condition of this one reflects the use of a single and short season example.

But it is an older model.----A buyer looking for an everyday fishing motor may not want it.---If you can not fix these yourself and shops decline to work on it you have a nice display motor.

A 47 year old motor. Spare parts all but impossible to find. Internal condition unknown.

Might be worth more in the form of a tax donation to a charitable organization if you have such in the UK.

Contact Yamaha UK and see if they are interested in the motor for historical purposes. Yamaha USA once had one on display in their lobby.

Everything old does not have value. Sadly to say.

Having said all of my rubbish, put it up on ebay, craigslist or something similar and see what happens. You might stumble on someone who's dad had that model back in the day. He may want to give his pops a nostalgic gift.

Thanks. I get what you say, and fair do's.

It's obviously not like a normal 2nd-hand 'board due to its extreme age. It'll be a fab buy for someone, tho', assuming the internals are as good as I believe them to be, and I understand that most servicing parts are still easily available.

I'll probably end up putting it on 'auction' and then it'll find it's own value. Looks like that won't happen until the latest 'lockdown' is over, tho'...

Cheers.

Back