Logo

Yamaha 70hp outboard not charging

Hazzardous76

I have a 2001 Yamaha 70LTRA 2 stroke outboard. Last fall it quit charging my battery. I did some research and thought the rectifier was the issue. I replaced it with a china knockoff. When I ran it for the first time this it still wasn’t charging. I then bought an OEM Yamaha rectifier and installed it. When testing in my driveway with muffs the volt meter went to 14 volts while running so I assumed it was fixed. However, when on the lake a couple days later the highest I could get was around 12.5 volts…which is just a hair over what the battery voltage was when first turning the key on. I tried turning off all my fishing graphs to remove any draw and that didn’t help either. The battery is fairly new and ran my equipment all day even without the charging system. Is something else the issue? Possibly the charging coil or stator? I should be getting around 14 volts output when the motor is running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

usually, yhe basic outboard charging circuit wont get up to 14VDC until tje rngine RPM goes well above idle...
with a good battery and clean connections, the rectifier/regulator and the stator coils are about all thats left....a short time diagnosing the problem can usually identify the malfumctioning part...

Back