Logo

Yamaha 2013 F115 stops after 10 minutes

Sailfishsteve

I have a 2013 Yamaha 115, low low hours. Confession....it sat for a while for personal reasons. Anyhow, get her back running through a mechanic. It needed a VST (replaced new), cleaned the injectors, replaced filters, fuel pump works. Put in a new fuel tank and hoses etc. (tested good). It starts and idles but when running under load it dies in about 11 minutes (almost consistently at 11 minutes). Stays primed, and will usually start again but doesn't run for any length of time. Tried fuel from a stand alone tank to eliminate the new tank with no change.

Attached clear tubes and gauges to fuel pump and VST. Started and watched the VST gauge drop pressure after about 10 minutes - the fuel simply quit coming out. Waited a few and she restarted, etc. Never loses prime and the VST doesn't empty; it just stops pumping.

Using REC90 fuel. Mechanic and Yamaha support is at a loss.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Does it idle fine for longer than 11 minutes?

You said you "waited a few and she restarted". Does that mean it doesn't restart right away after it first shuts down?

Was the high pressure pump inside the VST replaced?

Are you measuring fuel pressure at the rail or at the top of the VST?

How do you know the high pressure pump stops pumping?

Other things to check would be the pressure regulator and the VST needle valve.

But I would hook up YDS and see what you can find.

Does it idle fine for longer than 11 minutes? No. It does not.

You said you "waited a few and she restarted". Does that mean it doesn't restart right away after it first shuts down? This is correct.

Was the high pressure pump inside the VST replaced? The entire VST other than the tank was replaced

Thanks for the comments. I'll update.

Are you measuring fuel pressure at the rail or at the top of the VST? Measured at the output to the rail

How do you know the high pressure pump stops pumping? Something stops - there is no fuel coming out

Other things to check would be the pressure regulator and the VST needle valve. Good idea. Will try that.

But I would hook up YDS and see what you can find. YDS was attached at failure time and there was no code or indications.

Does it idle any longer with the gas cap to your fuel tank removed? Could just be lack of venting.

Also, does it idle any longer if you manually pump the primer bulb every few seconds leading up to the 11th minute?

I think if the behavior stays the same in those cases, I would start considering electrical/ECM issues. Not sure where I'd start looking, but I would at least compare a YDS report at key-on, just after start up when cold, and again right around that 11th minute. I wouldn't look only for error codes. You can graph the fuel pressure vs. other stats and maybe see a connection that you wouldn't otherwise notice with just one static report.

We checked the venting and pumped the ball prior to the 11 minute mark. Nothing changed. I mentioned, to the mechanic, it seemed like ECM issues but I can't imagine that. The motor has less than 25 hours on it. I really hate to admit that, but as I had mentioned, it sat for a while for personal reasons. I think you are on the mark with the "no error codes and graphs." Those are the next steps and I thank you for the response - I'll keep this updated.
Steve

Had this on honda once, the fuel bowl vent on he vapour separator was blocked, as vacuum built up high pressure pump began starving, it a long shot but worth checking

UPDATE - You're not going to believe this one. 2 well known marine mechanics arrive. The motor starts and is running (idle) for about 30 minutes. I tell them to rev it up and give it about 10 minutes. Sure enough, after a few minutes, it sputters. Mech 1 says to Mech 2, 'Pump the ball.' He does but nothing changes. Mech 1 says, 'Shut it down." Mech 2 says, 'That ball is hard as a rock.' and they both look puzzled and proceed to tear everything apart. They find the problem.

A hose, feeding the VST has a large piece of trash in it. Essentially, the motor is primed by pumping which gets enough fuel up into the lines and fills the VST which feeds the injectors. Because of the mostly blocked line, the fuel can't pump well enough to keep the VST filled thus, it runs out of fuel. Afterwards, I idle it for over an hour then crank up the rpm, and she ran solid for over 15 minutes. It seems it's fixed so in the water this weekend!!! YAY!!!

​​​​​​​Thanks everyone for the comments!

Back