Logo

Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke has problems running after service

Tomo1

I just serviced my 15 Yamaha today and now it is having problems running. I finished the service and started the motor from cold. Start position and choke out, once the revs picked up I pushed the choke in then the motor died. It started up again and did the same thing. I cleaned the carburettor and put it back on and it had the same issue.

I did notice before I serviced the motor in nuetral when running it had what I can describe as a limiter. Now there is no limiter and I can rev as high as I like. There is also a clunk when I turn the tiller handle which upon closer inspection I found to the the throttle mechanism on the side of the motor hitting a piece of the gear assembly which doesn’t let you start the motor in gear.

I believe I have done something wrong when installing the gear box which has broke the nuetral limiter. When the motor dies it sounds like it’s not getting any fuel which is not the case.

Any suggestions on why I’m having these problems would help out a lot. Thankyou!!

Can you describe exactly what you did? How do you know it's getting fuel? Year and model number would help a lot too.
2004 model. I changed the impeller, gear box oil, plugs and thermostat gasket and cleaned the carb. I can hear the fuel going into the carb when I prime the bulb and there are no air locks in the fuel line.

Then I'm pretty sure it's a carburetor issue. Take the cover off and when you turn the choke off, spray some starting fluid, or carb cleaner into the throat of the carbs and see if that keeps it running. If it does, you need to clean your low speed jets.

Back