Logo

Yamaha 150hp 2 stroke, having fuel problem

rjw4259

Contributing Member
I have a 150 Yamaha on my Cobia 204CC that I have been having fuel issues for quite a while. Just had an incident recently where it looked like I ran out of fuel, the fuel gauge was registering empty and the engine died. Got to the gas dock and filled up, tank only took 30 gallons. Hears the problem I have a 100 gallon gas tank so how could I be out of fuel? The fuel sender is a Rochester 9800 series reed sender which I believe is faulty and isn't giving me the right fuel level, it has been all over the place from full to 1/2 a tank,, 3/4 a tank just don't trust it. It was showing 1/2 full went to the dock and it took 20 gallons with a 100 gallon tank, not possible the reed sender has to be lying to me or it should have taken more fuel to fill the tank! So, the latest incident the engine died like it was out of fuel, I recently replaced the fuel line, anti siphon valve and water fuel separator so that shouldn't be a problem. This is twice I have had that scenario with this boat. I'm thinking it is a fuel pickup problem kind of like when you are drinking a soda and you can't get anything out of the straw and the drink is half full, ten you check your straw and it has a crack half way up. This tank has a plastic tube for fuel pickup just wondering if that thing could be cracked, split or has a hole in it? Just looking for second opinions as to what it could be, that fuel pickup is a real bear to get to, I have had it loose to look at it thinking it might have corroded off , since it is not metal but plastic I ruled that out and reinstalled it. I don't usually let the tank get very low but that crummy sender is complicating things with fuel levels. If that fuel tank is only 30 gallons down there has to be something wrong causing the engine to stall for fuel?

Back