Logo

XP150 No Spark - E150STLCEM

Twozerofour

SO. Got my boat last summer and hooked up the battery backwards, Took a day to realize what i did. In this time bought a new starter hooked it up and watched it spin backwards. This is when the fun started>>>

Lost all spark and Tach, Had a boat tech come look at it told me the stator was fried. I put in a new one no change. Then i was told the Recitfy Regultor was shot, borrowed a loner and boom, she fired and i had good spark. Ordered my own and put it in and it started to drop cylinders. A more reputable tech showed me how to test the timer base, i also tested the loner timer base to confirm my suspesion. Orderded a new one BOOM boat ran awesome for about 40 days out. No tach and it did not seem to charge the battery this hole time though.

10 Times thru the summer i could not get it to start at all, it would drop spark. i would pull the plugs ect and it would just not go. it might barley catch one fire then die. As the summer went one i found if i started it on the muffs at home it would fire perfictly once i hit the lake.

Put it away last fall, got it out this spring and intermitant spark that switched between 2 cylinders, then no spark at all.

I had a tech look at it this year and he says the Power pack (cdi) is shot and it has taken out the new timer base i put in.

Is this possible, and has my intermittant spark problem been the Power Pack all along?

95-97psi on all cylinders
all electrical connections cleaned and checked, plugs ect
kill circuit eliminated
fly wheel magnets in great shape
new dry cell battery that has been kept charged, spins very fast.
new plugs, switched coild packs around/ wires ect.

Cylimer manual
new stator 173-4292
new timer base 133-3853
new rec/reg 193-5204
all cdi electronics parts
new starter

Before i throw more parts at it im just lookin for some insight.

I have used Max Rules diagonstic, S&F, CDI's trouble shooting, and my manual, bought a DVA meter ect. and spent countless hours searching forums.

Thanks

Sounds like power pack, IDK about the timer base being bad I suspect it is the powerpack since I have all the same parts as you above too

How old is your powerpack ?

Yes Sir,
I have a 89 175 and have the same power pack, it is 5800 your stator and reg are the same ones I have for 35 amp charge system. I am returning one as we speak because it was doing the same thing you stated but is only 2 1/2 years old

Back