Logo

Wont turn off with key or kill switch

MIKEPAYNE

My 2000 bryant 5.0 merc woud not cutoff unless pulled the coil wire the other day on the lake .i tried several different times.does anybody have any ideals , i though switch or alt

First off, DO NOT pull the High Tension lead from the ignition coil while energized........ you may damage the coil!

Do a continuity test at the Key Switch and see if the switch is actually "breaking" the Ignition circuit when turned to the OFF position.

Also check the Start-by-pass circuit and see if it is releasing correctly upon start-up.

You may also want to look and see if the ignition circuit also powers the alternator field circuit.
If it does, then it may be possible that the field circuit is bad and is continuing to back-feed the ignition.
(I'm not sure if this could be the case)

Last edited:
More history on boat....what has recently been done?

If what you describe is often call "deisling" it could be to much timing or fuel related issue as in carburetor issue or even to high of idle. What is your idle speed in rpm?

More history on boat....what has recently been done?

If what you describe is often call "deisling" it could be to much timing or fuel related issue as in carburetor issue or even to high of idle. What is your idle speed in rpm?

Mike says that he has to pull the coil wire in order to shut the engine down!

"Run-on" or "Dieseling" is caused by high cylinder temps in a lean fuel/air scenario, and cannot be eliminated by cutting spark!

Mike says that he has to pull the coil wire in order to shut the engine down!

"Run-on" or "Dieseling" is caused by high cylinder temps in a lean fuel/air scenario, and cannot be eliminated by cutting spark!

If he is asking the question he is asking, then it is obvious he has no idea and his description is lacking to say the least. He does not state the motor shuts right down when pulling coil wire. Did you get this from his description?

Obviously, you being so educated and far more intelligent than others, would not stop an engine running by pulling the coil wire but to those who know no better that is what they do. Regardless of the root cause.

Just because he said it would not shut off does not mean it is not over running/dieseling, Thus why I asked for more information....................
Almighty Sultan, He who can read others minds and interpret there meaning from a LACKING INTERNET post!!

Besides I wrote "IF"..............

And Ya.......do a continuity test...........the guys pulling a coil wire..........ya think he is going to know what that means?

And Ya.......... check the Start-by-pass circuit and see if it is releasing correctly upon start-up.............I am sure he understands this!!

Good luck MIKE PAYNE............You know will be instructed by RICARDO THE PAIN!

If it is fuel injected the computer relay could be stuck closed also? Swap the fuel pump and the ecm relay and turn the key on and see if the fuel pump runs continuously.

First of all, I find myself wanting to apologize for Jack's less-than-adult like behavior. This is not the first time either!

If he is asking the question he is asking, then it is obvious he has no idea and his description is lacking to say the least.
That would be an assumption on your behalf!

He does not state the motor shuts right down when pulling coil wire.
I don't recall Mike asking any questions about a motor.
Engine.... yes!

Did you get this from his description?
Jack, we rely on our spoken language (English in this case) to express our thoughts and to ask our questions.
Here's what Mike said:

"My 2000 bryant 5.0 merc woud not cutoff unless I pulled the coil wire the other day on the lake . I tried several different times. Does anybody have any ideals , I though switch or alt"
He used the words "would not cut off". I read no verbiage that would indicate "run on" or "dieseling".

Obviously, you being so educated and far more intelligent than others,
Why thank you, Jack! I'll take that as a compliment.
However, I have never alluded to a claim as such!

would not stop an engine running by pulling the coil wire but to those who know no better that is what they do. Regardless of the root cause.
Understood!
Did you NOT understand why I suggested to NOT pull the high tension lead from the coil?

Just because he said it would not shut off does not mean it is not over running/dieseling, Thus why I asked for more information....................
Jack, if you were unable to understand post #1, then perhaps read post #1 again.

Almighty Sultan, He who can read others minds and interpret there meaning from a LACKING INTERNET post!!
What you got from post #1 is quite different from what I took from post #1.
Perhaps read post #1 again.

Besides I wrote "IF"..............
Understood!

And Ya.......do a continuity test...........the guys pulling a coil wire..........ya think he is going to know what that means?
What is it that would cause you to think that he DID NOT know what that means?

And Ya.......... check the Start-by-pass circuit and see if it is releasing correctly upon start-up............. I am sure he understands this!!
I would hope so..... but if he did not, he'd certainly ask for clarification.

Good luck MIKE PAYNE............You know will be instructed by RICARDO THE PAIN!
We typically make suggestions here on the forum.
Upon establishing communication, we may get into instructions if called for.

FWIW and FYI, Mike did shoot me a PM. He confirmed that this is NOT a Run-On or Dieseling issue!

Last edited:
Back