Logo

Won't always go into reverse

clarkdfw

Gibson 36' Houseboat (1988), twin AQ 151Bs with 290 Power Trim outdrives. Separate shift and throttle levers. Starboard engine sometimes doesn't want to go into reverse. It acts like the cable isn't pulling the shift arm far enough. Can the plate on the outdrive that covers the cable end/shift arm/gear yolk, etc. be safely removed with the boat in the water?

Also, anyone know any good Volvo Penta mechanics they recommend in the Dallas Fort Worth area? My boat is on Lake Lewisville.

Thanks

Houseboats rarely get hauled for drive maintenance.
While it may cost you to haul one out, this cost may be paled by comparison if drive maintenace is defered... but I'm sure that you know this.:cool:

Yes, the rear cover can be removed while the drive is in the water.

Couple of things that may prevent gear engagement:
  • Water in drive oil.
  • Synthetic drive oil if the sliding sleeve is glazed in the least.
  • Debris embedded into the brass sliding sleeve on the side of which gear engagement is the issue.
  • Shift cable adjustment if not providing enough eccentric piston movement.

Thank you so much, Rick. Drive oil is clean on the dipstick. It is not synthetic oil. Are items three and four able to be remedied by removing the cover in the water? (removing any debris and adjusting end of shift cable). I plan to haul this winter for bottom job, outdrive oil change, bellows replacements, etc. But I am just trying to get through this summer without hauling early.

Back