Logo

Wonbt shift into reverse Mariner 25ELH

ragdog007

Dealer put in new LU seals and

Dealer put in new LU seals and water pump. Worked ok for awhile and now it won't shift into reverse. Tiller steering model. Shift handle won't turn.

Might be in those cables that

Might be in those cables that move the gear shift and throttle arms. See if the cam that raises/ lowers the shifter is moving all the way.

Jeff

"Just checked, cam clearance i

"Just checked, cam clearance is ok. I unhooked all the linkage rods and can turn the shifter no prolem to all positions I put a wrench on the square end shaft coming out of the motor casing and can manually shift into forward and neutral but not reverse."

"Remove the shifter cam and pu

"Remove the shifter cam and pull the shifter rod all the way up, then see if it's in reverse.

Jeff"

"shifter rod being the square

"shifter rod being the square end shaft???? Sorry, I don't have a manual that tells me what's what. Tried to find a freebe on-line but haven't had any luck...."

On a Merc 25 (which I thin

On a Merc 25 (which I think is similar) it's a shiny rod that comes up from the LU. It moves up and down as the thing is shifted.

Jeff

"ok i unhooked everything off

"ok i unhooked everything off the cams, lindkages. etc and the hand shifter works fine. I can shift it to forward and the prop is engaged. Back to neutral and the prop spins freely both directions. Shift to reverse and the prop is engaged the opposite direction. Attached is a photo of the parts I've unooked."

"After I hooked everything bac

"After I hooked everything back up the same problem is there. I'm thinking the problem is with the linkages, like alignment or something. I see a large spring that's between the cams? If that's not in the right position (wrap} can that be what's wrong?"

Gonna have to keep messing wit

Gonna have to keep messing with it 'til you get it right. The photo didn't come up--you might try that again. Maybe we could spot something.

Jeff

"Found a bushing that goes int

"Found a bushing that goes into the two cams laying in the bottom of the motor. Put it all back and it worked fine 50X with the motor running with water. Put it in the lake and it worked 2x then won't shift again. Took it home, cams off, wrench on the link to the shifter rod, worked the handle back and forth and it finally shifted in. All back togeter, ran it with water, works fine. I should be all set as long as I don't put it in the lake. Seriously, appreciate the help. Any other ideas??"

"I found if I wiggle the prop

"I found if I wiggle the prop while turning the handle, I can see the shifter rod go down and it works. If I go back to neutral, it will go back to reverse if I DON'T change the prop position. If I change the prop position, it won't shift. I move the prop a little and it will engage. I don't know what the shift rod is attached to or how it works but seems like the problem is with position, syncronization or timing with something inside."

"Hey, that motor is supposed t

"Hey, that motor is supposed to be RUNNING when you shift it. Is that what you've been doing all along; trying to hang reverse with it shut off?

Jeff"

"No No NO. I've had it ru

"No No NO. I've had it running with the ear muff attachment hooked up to the hose, motor running, in the lake with the motor running and it won't shift. It will act up whether its running or not. When it quits shifting in reverse under power in the lake is when I had it on the trailer the last time turning the prop by hand to get it to engage and shift. If I put it in the lake under power, it will work a couple times then bind up again and not shift in reverse. I put it on the trailer, take it home and that's when I wiggled the prop by hand to get it to shift. Been doing this cycle for the last week."

"Inside, on the vertical linka

"Inside, on the vertical linkage I assume? New discovery...the throttle doesn't go back to idle when releasing it like it did before and the motor idles much faster than before it was taken it last Oct. for lu seal replacement and water pump change per dealer recommendation. Is there something in these motors that prohibit it to shift if the idle is too fast? I don't want to point a finger at the previous work that was done to cause this but since I've owened this motor since 98 I've never had any issue with it shifting properly. Is there anything done with or could affect the linkages by having the lu seals and water pump replaced. Also, I come home tonight and look at it and there's lubicant leaking out on the hub of the prop. Didn't see that until today. Your thoughts."

"You've got a tiller arm c

"You've got a tiller arm cable problem--it's not doing what it's supposed to, and that's causing both of your problems. Pain in the butt to work on, but that's what is needed.

Jeff"

Dealer found a washer missing

Dealer found a washer missing at the top of the shifter linkage causing it to over travel. Hoping for the best when I pick it up tomorrow.

"One washer missing, back in a

"One washer missing, back in and its like new. thanks for the help on this one.

At high speed, at plain, if I let go of the throttle, isn't it supposed to spring back to idle by itself? I thought mine used to."

"Mine never have - they do bac

"Mine never have - they do back off a little bit, but don't fully return to idle.

That's why later models also included the tether on the kill switch - so if you go over the side and have her hooked up, at least the boat don't keep going at 3/4 throttle
"

"I thought for sure mine did a

"I thought for sure mine did and that was why they put the throttle tension adjustment, to hold it at a set speed, on the side of the tiller handle. Maybe not but I seem to remember tightening that down, running at speed, loosing it because I had to as it was holding the speed, and as soon as I loosened it, it would come right down to idle quite quickly."

Back