Logo

Wiring Problem on 50 LPDI

gogittum

I have a 2000 Tohatsu 50 LPDI that was in storage for several years. It ran perfectly prior to crating it for storage. While in storage, someone got in there (commercial rental locker) and stole the control with cables. I couldn't find a part # - apparently the same control works for all - so I bought a used one off eBay.

Fussed some with the wiring but with patience and care it "almost all" worked out. However, on the right rear of the motor (standing behind it looking forward) there's a multi pin plug with 3 additional wires coming up beside it. The harness from the control worked out but left one wire of the 3 unaccounted for. It's a red wire with yellow stripe and I find nothing to connect it to.

Looking on the wiring diagram, it appears to go to ground, BUT - after a lifetime of working on 12vdc systems I can't bring myself to connect a red wire to ground.

The motor cranks fine and compression is 100 on all 3 cylinders, but I'm getting no spark and no fuel pump. I've been tearing my hair out but can't figure what should go where or, possibly, what might be missing. I've talked to several dealers who are a few 100 miles away in Texas and they didn't have an answer for me. There are no dealers within 125 miles of me and that one (Elephant Butte) wants $150/hour shop rate. I simply can't afford that - I'm retired and living on SS. I want to sell the motor if/when I get it running.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What the heck is an LPDI? Is that a long shaft remote TLDI?

TLDI (25HP - 115HP) SIDE MOUNT CONTROL BOX​

a

Description

Side mount control box, with power tilt/trim swtich & electric start.
Includes main engine harness.
For all TLDI models with power tilt & electric start

Part #: 3U2B845001
List Price (MSRP): $1,362.61

On my paperwork it's listed as a "Low Pressure Direct Injection" motor. TLDI is same thing.

I'd hoped for something a little more helpful. As it sits, it's un-saleable. My boat motor is a real good boat anchor right now.

What wiring diagram are you using? Follow it, and you should be OK. The ECU works by grounding, not by supplying 12v.

Diagram is in the owner's manual with the soft green cover. Doesn't help much.

I'm amazed that no one has a 50 or 60 hp Tohatsu on their boat. It'd be a simple thing to take a quick look for that red/yellow wire and see where it goes. If you do, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Back