Logo

wiring diagram big twin 1965 - no electric shift no startermotor

calle

Hi!

I wonder if anyone has a wiring diagram for an Evinrude Big Twin 1965. The motor has no electric shift and no starter but the former owner has left some wiring unattached and I frankly dont know where to put everything. The kill swith I assume should have one wire from the ignition and one to ground?

Thanks IMG_9011.jpgIMG_9010.jpg

Simple.

The stop button connects the two black wires together to stop it.

EDIT: "mercury switch" is a micro switch on yours. Does the same thing.

Attachments

• Wiring 1958_61 35_40hp manual start.jpg
    Wiring 1958_61 35_40hp manual start.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 60
If your using the pull start just run the two black wires under the flywheel to the stop button thats it. Make sure the safety lock on the throttle control is working so you cant pull the rope at high speed. It will start in gear but only at slow speed.

If your using the pull start just run the two black wires under the flywheel to the stop button thats it. Make sure the safety lock on the throttle control is working so you cant pull the rope at high speed. It will start in gear but only at slow speed.

BUT, if the vacuum cut-out switch is not connected properly, there is danger of it running wild and you can't slow it down if you rev it up above fast idle in neutral (or break a shear pin or lose a prop). OK, yes you can slow it down by pushing the stop button---if you think if it while you are in panic mode. That stuff was put there for a reason.

It is simple just ru one wire center of the cutout switch from the mag plate and then to the stop switch. It cuts out one cylinder on a runaway motor is it necessary? You can always replace the stop switch with a combo stop/lanyard if you lose the prop yank on the lanyard.

Back