Logo

Wiring Diagram 1985 OMC 3.0

wizard

Regular Contributor
Would someone know if the wiring diagram colors for a 3.0 Mercruiser would be the same colors for a OMC 3.0

Thanks Bob

If the alternator was over charging 16v + would that cook the ignition coil ?

If I turn key on I have low power to coil + side , no power on - side no spark at points. Coil shot Yes or no.

If your alt is putting out 16V then I would say the regulator is shot (yours may be internal to the alternator) and yes that will cook a coil. When you turn your key on you normally see power at the + positive side of the coil especially if the points are open and you won't see anything on the - neg side until the points close. Using that same scenario with the dist cap off take a small screwdriver and short across the points, if you see a spark then you just charged the coil, no spark could mean bad coil.

Yes it has a internal Reg. so that needs repair. and I will pick up a new coil today.

Did your boat go in the spring. If so are you going to get a new one?

Just finished the deal on mine last Wed, couldn't get together with the buyer until then, took him out for a sea trial and he handed me a chq for the balance.

We ourselves are not looking for anything else but my older son is looking for something to play with in the 20-22 ft size like a SeaRay Pachanga or Doral Phazer or Thundercraft Fiero in the 89-91 year range. I suppose if he finds something then Dad will have to go in with him?

The wife and I are going to spend this summer playing with our Mustang, it's 03 Mach 1, going to take it to some car shows and do some road cruising instead of on the water

IMG_6596CC021024.jpg

IMG_6595CC1024.jpg

IMG_7784_1024.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

Last edited:
Nice ride Bob! I restored a 20th Anniversary Stang 5.0, 5 speed convertible a few years ago. Fun car! I really like the 03-04 Machs and haven't ruled out buying one down the road. Fastest (naturally asperated) production car built those years I believe, and I love the shaker hood! Kinda wondering if Ford will build one in the new retro body?
I also sold my boat this year. Just wasn't getting much use out of it. My new baby is a Kubota tractor. I know, boring next to the Mustang but it sure is saving me a lot of backache!
Have fun on the road!
Later,
Chuck

Last edited:
nice Stang, Bob

neighbours down the road from me have a Pachanga with a King Cobra....not sure if 460 or 454
I've lived here 11 years, and I've seen it come off the railway ONCE, around 2005.

If I ever see a for sale sign on it I'll let you know. I'd be shocked if it has 25 hours on it.

nice Stang, Bob

neighbours down the road from me have a Pachanga with a King Cobra....not sure if 460 or 454
I've lived here 11 years, and I've seen it come off the railway ONCE, around 2005.

If I ever see a for sale sign on it I'll let you know. I'd be shocked if it has 25 hours on it.

Thanks hystat.....that seems a real shame to have a boat like that and not use it. I'm not too sure I would jump back into another boat with a 460 after just getting rid of the twins but a 454 in a Pachanga would go real nice especially if it had the Bravo drive....some guys have torn up Alpha's real bad with 454's , can't handle the HP and torque.

Sorry Wiz for hijacking your thread :(

That's Ok I am done with it and it make some good reading LOL Thanks for the help. Pick up a coil last night got home started pissing rain. ( S-it ) Took the wife shopping ( Fun ... ya right )

Back