Logo

Winterize outboard engine?

clamb

I was talking to a coworker, who was planning on getting his boat ready for the winter months.
I replied yeah, inboards are a hassle that way, & that's why I prefer outboard engines, just lower the leg & it all drains out.

He looked at me like I was from another planet.
"You don't winterize your outboard?"

No, never have, & I said that last year was the first time in many that I even replaced the oil in the leg, its never been cloudy, or taken on any moisture, but I replaced it when replacing water pump.

Am I the only one who doesn't pump plumbing antifreeze through an outboard?

My father bought the boat new in the 80's & its never been done.
Don't have the manual anymore, so not even sure what the manufacturer recommends.

It gets pretty cold in Saskatchewan, but as far as I know, & believed all my life, is that there isn't enough water remaining in an outboard to do any damage.
Don't think I need to start now.

75 H.P Mercury Mariner

You have done good.-----As stated , water drains out with motor in normal running position.-----That is if all the drain holes are free and clear of debris.-----Check the cavity drain holes on your gearcase.

Around here for I/Os they use a short piece of hose screwed into muffs then, while the engine is running, pour antifreeze into the hose thru a funnel until it comes out of the water outlets. An outboard should have Storage Seal sprayed into the carbs to protect the bearings etc. from corrosion.

When I'm done my last time on the lake for my 2 cycle outboards, I disconnect the gas line hose, and let it run dry. Don't do this with a big 4 cycle or will ruin the fuel pump.
Then at home I keep the motor upright (all water will drain out).
I take out the spark plugs, put a little oil in the cylinders , lightly screw back the spark plugs but not quite tight, and pull on the cord a couple of times to spread the oil around. (I do leave the plug wires off, just in case).
I should change the lower gear case oil each fall, but sometimes I just do it in the spring.
I have read, a person should do the water impeller every 3 years, and have failed at that, I use my motor 30 hours per year, so maybe it's not bad to do it longer periods.

Back