Logo

Winterize How I Did It Correct

clarkem

"I have a 2001 3.0L I/O Merc a

"I have a 2001 3.0L I/O Merc and all I did for adding anti-freeze was. I warmed up the motor to operating temp. then I took off the water hose and added my hose with the anti-freeze attached to it and ran 3 gallons through the motor and turned it off.

Is this enough to make sure that all the water got out, the anti-freeze was coming out of the out outdrive.

Any thoughts it is my first time, I want to make sure it will surive the winter."

"It's not likely you got a

"It's not likely you got all the water out of low flow areas. You may have got enough mixing to keep it from freezing... no guaranties!

What anti-freeze did you use?
Did you fog the engine?
Is it fresh water or raw water cooled?

Most folks with raw water cooled engines fog the engine, once it dies or they feel they got enough oil in there, they turn it off, then drain the water out of the block, manifolds and risers, and leave it dry.

Fresh water cooled typically use antifreeze as the coolant, so there's nothing to do on the fresh water side. The raw water side does need to be drained or layed-up in antifreeze."

I have side water pick ups on

I have side water pick ups on my alpha one stern drive which is where I hooked up the antifreeze to. I did fog the motor and once it quit I turned off the anti-freeze and I used marine anti-freeze. The motor does have a single point drainage system but this should now filled with anti-freeze?

Your Thoughts

I agree w/Troy. You could dra

I agree w/Troy. You could drain a cup of fluid from the single poit drain and check the mixture w/an antifreeze tester.

Back