Logo

Winterization?

Tune1960

I winterized my Yamaha 115 4 stroke last year, but only used the boat 2 times this summer. Do I really need to winterize again this year. All the fluids, oil and filters are still new, or does father time demand they be replaced again? Thx..

You wouldn’t be the first to pull the boat out of the water without doing any fall maintenance. I would suggest you drain the lower unit into a clean container, if no water intrusion then transfer the lower unit oil into a squeeze bottle and put the “used” oil back in. I only use my Suzuki 20-30 hours/year and I’ve started changing my lower unit oil every second year. I do change my engine oil every year but only change the oil filter every second year. I own a Honda and a Suzuki, both manufacturers suggest changing oil on a yearly basis or every 100 hours(if memory serves). I’m not going to tell you to not change your oil but if I was in your position I wouldn’t change oil this year but next fall oil and filter would get changed even if I didn’t use it.

Your fuel system should be addressed, Ignoring the 2 runs this year your fuel is getting old and will continue to deteriorate over this winter potentially causing you grief next spring.

Winterize it. You used it. The fuel is problematic and you need to check for lower unit water intrusion. Winterization is cheap compared to the damage done by water in gear oil and cleaning up bad fuel.
Sorry

Back