Logo

Winterization - Storage

Lerie

Bought a new to me, but used 2005 Mercury 90 HP that did not come with an owners manual. Would have winterized it by draining lower unit and filling it. Then would have filled gas tank with enough Stabil for the size of gas tank. Next would have been to run it with water muffs and then disconnect the fuel and run it until it stalled. Lastly I would have removed spark plugs and added fogging oil and turn the motor over a few times.

The fuel line on this outfit is not equipped with a quick disconnect, it goes from a tank fitting to the fuel pump. So - running it out of fuel is going to be difficult unless I install some sort of fuel shut off in the line. When I questioned a Mercury dealer, they told me that all of the newer motors are rigged this way and that it does not matter if the fuel is run out of the carbs. Can't believe that this is true as the recommendation for decades was to run the fuel out before storage.

What is the correct procedure for winterization with the ethanol gas? In advance - thanks for your time, consideration and answers.

The fuel line on this outfit is not equipped with a quick disconnect...
My 115 HP is that way. If you insist on running it dry of fuel just pinch the fuel line w/a vice grips until it quits.
What is the correct procedure for winterization with the ethanol gas?
Use STABIL for ETHANOL and fill the tank.

As long as the fuel is stablized in the line (and ultimately in the carb) it should be fine (I ran "stablized" E-15 (15% ethanol) in my outboards for three seasons with zero ill effects) - in other years they have always run E-10. For the cost of it, running stablizer "all the time" certainly doesn't hurt (something to consider for next season)

All the other tips here are good (grease what needs greasing (don't forget the steering), fog the cylinder - also spray some fogging oil over the whole powerhead - ya, it's a little messy, but it protects quite a bit), do the lower unit oil.

If there is "anything else" that you think you want to do before next season (new impeller, new sparkplugs etc) consider doing it now. That way when the day comes in the spring when you want to take her out, she is all ready to go.

Store the motor as "upright" as possible (so tilted down in its normal running position) and if it is to be stored outside and uncovered, consider at least covering the powerhead portion to help keep the "cooties" out.

Tell you what: if you really want to be safe, why not run the motor in a bucket of Pink Stuff? The system is designed to drain off all water inside, but...

Jeff

Back