Logo

Why is alarm going off?

1BIGALF

Contributing Member
This just a review of my problem. My 1997 Mercruiser 5.7TB EFI alarm system would go off after running a short time. I would turn off engine and restart it and it would run fine for the rest of the day. It was a continuous beep when it went on. I asked my mechanic what ECM I had and he checked it and said it was a MEF1. He found some water in the fuel tank and change the plugs, plug wires, IAC valve, TP Sensor and last the MAP Sensor. I think it works now. I only took it for a short ride.
My question is why would the alarm go off in the first place if it would only go off with low outdrive oil, high water temperature , or low Engine oil. It would go off and the engine would go to reduced speed whch made me think I had Power Reduction Mode (guardian mode).My MEF1 does not have Power Reduction Mode per my guys. My ECM does not alarm on anything that has to do with fuel flow unless you guys know somthing that my 2 guys don't. Do I have a combination of issues? Bad fuel and bad senors and wire?

Last edited:
Back