Logo

White smoke / steam 1958 18hp

Kat-n'-Dawg

I have an 18HP Johnson Sea horse, circa 1958. Cruising around in the pontoon the other day it started spewing white smoke out the exhaust. I*searched all the posts in the archives and what I found was a hot (no pun intended) discussion about white smoke and steam.
Well, one begets the other. When water is heated to a certain point it vaporizes and turns into a gas that we call steam. You can't see it, and it's oderless (barring any added elements or compounds.) When steam encounters a lower temperature - less than 200-something degrees - it turns into water vapor, also described as white smoke. To see this theory in action, get an old kettle, put water in it, put it on the stove, and when it starts whistling look at the spigot closely. The first fractional inches out of the spigot can't be seen, but a 1/4 to 1/2 inch up you see white smoke. So, when someone says they have white smoke they have water vaporizing. There aren't too many parts of an outboard that get that hot, so we must deduce that water is getting into the combustion chamber, or such.
So, the questions on this subject are asking for your experience in determing the most likely cause. Head gasket, cracked block, other sources that could be producing that symptom? You can be a rocket scientist or a good ole' boy, but I'll bet someone out there has had a similar problem.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge - I'd like to know where to start........

Re: White smoke / steam

Yep. It's not really a "pee" hole as I've seen on other engines, but a rectangular port in the lower unit. Water spews out pretty well, as well as it ever did before the smoke showed up. I can't tell if it's coming out that same port, or if there's a separate exhaust port that it's coming out of. I know my way around a small block Chevy, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to outboards.

Thanks

Do either of the plugs look like they are washed clean, thinking you might have a head gasket leaking a little and allowing water in the cylinder. Maybe do a compression check.

Gonna do a compression check this weekend when we go back up. Put new plugs in, so may run it awhile to see if one of them is "steam-cleaned." I'm guessing that if one cylinder shows considerably less compression than the other (or both really low) then prolly a head gasket. Not sure what a good compression reading should be, but prolly more that each cylinder is about the same to be OK? Hope it's a head gasket and not a cracked block. Let you know.
Thanks for the reply.

Was up at the lake this past weekend and did a compression check. Both cylinders were right at 100 PSI, within a pound or two of each other. I don't know if that's good, but I'm thinking on an engine that old, and the cylinders that small, that's pretty good. And the fact that they were about the same throws me off for thinking a head gasket, unless that's a low reading, and the head gasket is effecting both cylinders? Now what the heck?

Back