Logo

whining sound while in neutral Mercruiser

dmoccia7

while running my 2005 Mercruiser 3.0 in neutral I'm getting an intermittent sound that sounds like a low whining noise. I think its the fan belt, a bearing or something else. Any ideas what this might be. I plan to go on the water tomorow so Im hoping for a quick answer from someone. Thanks guys. I tried to attach a video with the sound but the file was too big.

Use a broom stick on you ear.----Put end on alternator and see if it has a bad bearing.-----Repeat procedure on upper part of drive and lower part of the drive.

Thanks. Ill try that.
Most likely things are belt and pulleys if corroded. Could be the block circulation pump that it drives, can take the belt off run it briefly see if noise is gone, turn block circ pump alternator and PS by hand to see if they are smooth.

Could also be the gimbal bearing but I would think you wouldnt think that is from the front of the engine

Most likely things are belt and pulleys if corroded. Could be the block circulation pump that it drives, can take the belt off run it briefly see if noise is gone, turn block circ pump alternator and PS by hand to see if they are smooth.

Could also be the gimbal bearing but I would think you wouldn't think that is from the front of the engine
Ill try that as well.
I also developed a new issue yesterday. Got on the water and could not get it into gear (i.e. no power to prop). Neither forward nor reverse. Played around with it at the boat ramp and seemed to be related to the throttle only button. I could get the drive into the gear position with the shift lever but it still would not engage the prop. After I got home I played with it and the throttle only button was real loose at times and after pushing the lever back and forth the button would have a spring motion which is what I would expect but as I continued to play with the lever some more the button would get lose again. At one point while I had the lever pushed back in reverse I was able to turn prop ccw and then cw with ratchet sound. Then I put it in forward and the prop just turned freely both CCW and CW. But after playing around further pushing lever forward and backward prop would turn freely again regardless of the lever position. I recently had to replace the slave solenoid and in order to do it I had to disconnect the gear shift assembly from the engine, but I'm certain that I put it back exactly as it was before so I really don't think that has anything to do with the problem. Any way it will be my project for the week. I really think the problem is probably in my remote control (MPC 4000 Gen 2). ANYWAY, I'm a DIY guy and love a challenge!!

Back