Logo

which outboard?

I have a 1999 mercury 4stroke 4 cylinder - It was sold to me as a 50 but now I'm not so sure it is because according to the mercury manual all 50's after1998 had non adjustable carbs - mine are adjustable
serial no is:-

OT 117804 (2 march 1999?)
Is my engine actually a 50? - I hope so! - and if so why has it got adjustable carbs?

andy

Yes your engine is considered a year 2000 MARINER 4 STROKE 50 HP, ELPT 4 cyl (Belgium engine) Model number 7F50412JD.

Parts catalog part number 803013- 40 ITALY/45 BODENSEE 50/50 BIGFOOT (4-STROKE)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=803013

My guess would be someone in the past has removed the metal plugs to the air/fuel mixture screws so that they can synchronize the carburetors to make it run better. They probably never ordered and installed new metal plugs. The plugs are usually damaged upon removal.

Are they supposed to do that legally? (No) But does it happen in the real world? (Yes).;)

Is my engine actually a mariner? - would it have had mariner decals?

How do I know whether it is a bigfoot and what is a bigfoot?

The motor powers a fletcher 16 speedboat - the prop is a vengeance no:- 48-855856 A5 12P - would this prop/motor combo work OK - I can't find the prop listed in my mercury/mariner manual

thank you for your time which is much appreciated

andy harding

Yes, there is no question about it, The serial number you posted (0T117804) is considered to be a mariner outboard according to Mercury marines information they have on your engine.

I would think your engine would have had mariner decals at one time. Is the outside of the outboard gray not black in color?

A bigfoot has a bigger gear case housing (Lower Unit) and it supports a bigger propeller for certain types of boats. It normally will works better on most pontoons and a few other style boats. Google "Mercury bigfoot" for more information if needed, Also your service manual should talk a little bit about the bigfoot and non bigfoot as well i believe.

There is information is in your service manual about the prop sizes you can choose to use, It's up to you or a dealer if the boat and engine are new to find a prop that works well for your boat. The most important thing is making sure you top RPM is within specifications. (Your engine is rated for 6000 rpm's)

Hopefully you are using service manual part number 90-828631R3 dated for MARCH 1999 ? If so take a look at page 1A-10. That's the Propeller Information Chart your looking for.;)

If you don't have the right manual, Here's the section you are looking for, for you to look at.
http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/FourStroke/828631r3/1a.pdf

Sorry right now I'm out of time to look up your prop for you, See if your prop's numbers are listed. Good luck.:)

Back