Logo

Which carbs do I have?

CaptainWelder

1980 mercury 50 horse, not sure which carbs I have. I'm setting that it was made with two different carbs. How do I distinguish one from the other so I know I'm getting the correct parts? Also I see a lot of the parts are "obsolete ". What does this mean?

If you have the year correct you probably have the Tillotson model carb that was used on the 50 in the 1980's.

The later models have a Walbro carb on them.

At first glance both of them look nearly identical. The easiest way to tell the difference (at first look) is to look in the throat of the carb at the "butterfly".

The Tillotson has a two piece butterfly (the top 1/3 is fixed, the bottom 2/3's is the part that moves (on a little spring). On the Walbro the butterfly is a one piece disc.

Obsolete just means "hasn't been made since T-Rex roamed the streets" and you are very unlikely to find the part at any dealer - NLA (no longer available) is almost as bad but there is a slim chance that some dealer may have the part as "old stock" - but in both cases, Merc (or the supplier) is no longer making or marketing the part.

The best chance of finding an Obsolete or NLA part is at a recycler (such as TwinCity Outboards) etc..

Or you can look on the top of the carb for a part number like mda3-1 that would be a walbo
If you have the year correct you probably have the Tillotson model carb that was used on the 50 in the 1980's.

The later models have a Walbro carb on them.

At first glance both of them look nearly identical. The easiest way to tell the difference (at first look) is to look in the throat of the carb at the "butterfly".

The Tillotson has a two piece butterfly (the top 1/3 is fixed, the bottom 2/3's is the part that moves (on a little spring). On the Walbro the butterfly is a one piece disc.

Obsolete just means "hasn't been made since T-Rex roamed the streets" and you are very unlikely to find the part at any dealer - NLA (no longer available) is almost as bad but there is a slim chance that some dealer may have the part as "old stock" - but in both cases, Merc (or the supplier) is no longer making or marketing the part.

The best chance of finding an Obsolete or NLA part is at a recycler (such as TwinCity Outboards) etc..

Back