Logo

Where is the rectifier on my mariner

travisdc1980

1990 Mariner 100 hp outboard. Serial number C239509. Please help me. Getting very frustrated. I'm trying to find my rectifier to test it. For the life of me i cannot find it. I know what it looks like. I have found the rectifier assembly. And from what i can see on parts lists it is a total different part from the rectifier. Does the oil resevoir need to come off??? Or the flywheel??? Please help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A rectifier usually has 2 yellow wires and a red wire.-------Might be a diamond shaped object.----------Certainly not located under the flywheel.

Ok Thanks for the help racerone. I just looked behind the oil resavoir and nothing. Now is it possible that my model engine doesn't use a rectifier but some other kind of charging device. There is a box next to the flywheel with 2 yellow and a red going to it. I believe it is called a voltage regulator. Is that the same as a rectifier and can I check it the same way i would check a regular rectifier.

That is a rectifier/regulator. The regulator portion controls the amount of charge to the battery.

Ok guyjig. Thanks alot for your help. I feel like a fool now. I spent at least and hour and a half looking that whole engine over trying to find the diamond shape looking rectifier. I did research on how to check the rectifier/regulator and it is different than just a regular rectifier. Hopefully that is my problem and i can get that engine back to normal. Thanks all.

Back