Logo

What's wrong with this photo?

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
Sold the fellow this super longshaft that I put together for his sailboat. He had the marina mount the bracket before I showed up with the motor. The extension is of course 10" giving potential of around 22" max to the water.....as you may know, a general rule is that for each 12" farther astern of the transom that the motor is mounted, the motor can be raised nearly one inch. But the bracket appears to be improperly mounted. The guy paid big money for the job. What you think here.....? Should I post this to another part of the forum?
Obviously, this will never work.....the marina even took the tilt/trim lock pin out as you can see. I told the guy you cannot run the motor without that pin.....even IF it's in the water to the correct level. It will NOT lock in reverse and furthermore the motor is engineered to provide thrust against that pin. Now the guy is pissed, wants resolution. Pretty sad when a marina can charge so much and not know what they're doing. Need a professional opinion here, thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210701-084655_compress28.jpg
    Screenshot_20210701-084655_compress28.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
THat raising the motor 1" for every 12 only applies to planing hulls. It does not even look like the bracket can be mounted lower.

Thanks, Mr. Scott....you are right....guess that certainly doesn't apply to a sailboat then. To me, if you compare the angle that the bracket is mounted, to the water, or the boat behind....it is leaning too far forward, what you think?

Need more information.-------Looks to me that the marina did EXACTLY what the owner wanted.-----Perhaps they knew it would not work.------But the owner said it will !

He told them he wanted to mount an outboard that would allow him to troll at 2 to 3 mph for trout/salmon. This is what they set up for him. The unit swings up and down and is spring assisted. The angle cannot be adjusted to give the proper "angle of attack". This photo shows it in the "DOWN" position. It measures 25" to the water from the top of the mount. This is about 3" too high for a 25" shaft Evinrude.....as you well know. Since this pump has to be completely submerged in order to push water for proper cooling. He simply "told" them what he wanted to do and the marina guys, Max and Troy, set him up with this.....telling him he needs a super long shaft. I have a 30" shaft here, but it is only a 6 horsepower.....certainly not enough for this 23 footer weighing in at 21,000 pounds. As you probably well know, the standard extra-longshaft is 25".

Last edited:
Sold the fellow this super longshaft that I put together for his sailboat. He had the marina mount the bracket before I showed up with the motor. The extension is of course 10" giving potential of around 22" max to the water.....as you may know, a general rule is that for each 12" farther astern of the transom that the motor is mounted, the motor can be raised nearly one inch. But the bracket appears to be improperly mounted. The guy paid big money for the job. What you think here.....? Should I post this to another part of the forum?
Obviously, this will never work.....the marina even took the tilt/trim lock pin out as you can see. I told the guy you cannot run the motor without that pin.....even IF it's in the water to the correct level. It will NOT lock in reverse and furthermore the motor is engineered to provide thrust against that pin. Now the guy is pissed, wants resolution. Pretty sad when a marina can charge so much and not know what they're doing. Need a professional opinion here, thanks.

I use a 6hp Yachtwin on a 19ft sail boat

It has a 20" shaft ( this is standard for the 6hp Yachtwin )
There are exhaust outlets immediately below the upper anti-ventilation plate. The outlet behind the prop is plugged,
This allows the motor to be mounted so that the prop is 5" deeper that a standard 15" shaft engine. The reason for putting the prop deeper is because a sail boat tends to pitch in a bit of a chop , lifting the prop repeatedly out of the water.

It is also fitted with a high thrust prop.

I would say the bracket in your photo should be fitted with tapered spacers between it and the transom so that the motor mounting board is vertical

The height should be such that when lowered the water level is several inches above the upper AV plate

The tilt adjust pin should be fitted in the lowest position.

Thanks, Sir Vic. This thread will be made available to the owner of the boat.
Racer, that's just what the guy texted me when he showed interest in the 30" Johnson. I never questioned him but yes....that sounds a bit heavy.
I just checked that text and it's a 32 footer @ 12,000 pounds....sorry my mixup. Forgot to take my Alzheimer's medicine.
Today I offered to buy back the 25" Evinrude. I want nothing to do with these fools, their just gonna ruin the motor.
Note to Vic: In this photo that the boat owner sent me, you can just see the blocks you speak of, at the very edge of the picture.

Last edited:
Ha....good one....o2, but this sure doesn't help. I sold the motor to a "responsible" party. This was not the way it's supposed to work. Who's at fault here? Me.....for not checking out the mount first, for trusting the marina????....or the marina for installing a mount that could NEVER work correctly. I'm simply appealing to my fellow techs, here, for their advice on a reasonable resolution. Ron, (sailboat owner), just wants to go fishing....and is flushing away his meager retirement. This marina has been in business almost as long as me. Should they know how to mount an outboard on a sailboat?

Huh? You mean good motor....? I'm appealing to thousands of years of cumulative experience here. It's the marina vs. timguy. Who's "bad" here? Isn't a picture worth a thousand words?
Maybe I gotta find a sailboat expert, but shouldn't one of you outboard guys know how to hang a motor? Isn't the standard for sailboats a 25 in. shaft.....or was I watching too many skirts in school?

Last edited:
It all depends on the boat !!!-----That bracket is mounted way too high.----There is no other way to mount the bracket.------Needs custom work ( sliding bracket with hydrolic cylinder ) and big coins to make it work.

It all depends on the boat !!!-----That bracket is mounted way too high.----There is no other way to mount the bracket.------Needs custom work ( sliding bracket with hydrolic cylinder ) and big coins to make it work.

A bit of new angle brackets. No hyd required. If I had time to come down I could fix it cheap. Bottom line in my mind the marina messed up. Before you drill holes you quadruple check mounting. Sloppy shop I say

Not sure if I'm seeing this right, but the tilt locking lever seems to be up in the picture. Is it possible that it's set to the "half up" running position, like when you're running in shallow water?

Edit: Also I wonder if there's too much weight in the bow of the boat.

This motor needs to be down another 15" to operate in smooth water.------And then it still would not drive the boat properly in 4' waves !!

The motor appears to be tilted all the way down....even if that lever us up. Ron, the boat owner, asked the marina to set up an outboard mount. He told them he wanted just good enough for fishing. He has a large inboard motor for rougher seas. He said it does not troll down to 2 mph which is his desired trolling speed for trout and salmon.....plus he doesn't like idling it for hours on end. So they told him that he would need a "sailboat" length outboard of 10 HP or so. Is not the STANDARD length sailboat motor a 25" shaft? Or was I looking at skirts instead of doing my schooling?...........Yes, girls wore something called "skirts", back in the 70's......and often well above the knees......some girls challenged the code. That worthless Principal sure enjoyed measuring for that 4" max. Sorry, just thinking of the "good ole days".....yes, our private school required "uniforms" and shop class included marine and small engine.

Last edited:
I agree with all. Vic covered in more detail. There is another sailboat across the slip with a 25" Honda. The motor was tilted down, the angle of attack looked correct, and the water level was about 5 or 6" above the anti-cavitation surface. I'm sure this is what Ron expected when he had the marina install the mount. There is not much information out there with mounting an outboard on a sailboat.....the transoms often angle outwards at the bottom, not inward like a regular boat, making special brackets and modifications a must.

Last edited:
Back